Public Policy Outreach Coordinator
The Bishops of the State of Texas are the visible principle and foundation of unity in the (arch)dioceses entrusted to them. In a unique and visible way, the bishops make Christ's mission present and enduring as Shepherds of the Christian Community. In order to fulfill their mission, the bishops formed the Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops (TCCB) and directed its staff to serve as the public policy voice of the church in Texas and nationally, coordinate the accreditation and cooperation of Texas Catholic Schools, and help preserve the documents and cultural history of the church through the Catholic Archives of Texas. The bishops appoint an executive director who is responsible for employing staff to carry out those functions, subject to the TCCB budget.
Each position employed by the TCCB helps extend the ministry of the Texas bishops within the church community in particular ways, as outlined in the job description. Therefore, the employee in this position is closely connected to and assists the bishops in the performance of their ministry, and thereby engages in ministry for the church.
The Public Policy Outreach Coordinator assists the Executive Director and Associate Director of Public Policy in the public policy analysis and outreach of the TCCB. This is a full-time position that reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for creating social media content, assisting with grasstops education, planning events, and collaborating with the dioceses and parishes of Texas. This is a salaried position with minimal degree of independent judgment for developing outreach plans and materials.
Essential Job Duties
• Collaborate with diocesan directors to plan strategic political advocacy and mobilize grassroots.
• Create social media posts and update main website content.
• Coordinate special programs, presentations, and events related to Catholic social teaching.
• Assist the Executive Director and Associate Director of Public Policy in reviewing legislation, developing legislative summaries, and news articles related to legislation.
• Assist Executive Director and Associate Director of Public Policy in conducting training and technical assistance to dioceses and TCCB departments related to public policy issues and Catholic social teaching.
• Assist with facilitation of collaboration among departments of the TCCB.
• Ability to work flexibly to accommodate the fast and unpredictable pace of the Texas legislature
• Ability to successfully manage events, projects, and committees
• Ability to learn to integrate social media and website content into an overall public policy strategy
• Ability to serve as a congenial member of a team
• Knowledge of social media and website platforms
• Knowledge of Catholic theology, particularly social and ethical teaching
• Knowledge of basic public policy issues of the Catholic Church
• Skill in event planning
• Skill in use of digital media
• Skill in communicating Church teaching publicly and in individual conversations
• Ability to read and analyze legislation
• Ability to educate others about church teaching and public policy issues
• Four-year college degree from an accredited college or university in theology, political science, communications, or closely related field of study.
• At least 1-year experience or volunteer equivalent in non-profit communications or in public policy; or
• At least 1-year experience volunteer equivalent in Catholic ministry at the parish or diocesan level.
Licenses / Certifications
• Possess a valid driver license.
• Must submit an Ethics and Integrity in Ministry Application for Ministry within the first week of employment, participate in an EIM Basic Abuse Prevention Training workshop within 60 days of submitting a complete Application for Ministry, and maintain EIM compliance during the entire term of employment.
• Must be a practicing Catholic in good standing
• All employees are engaged in ministry and closely tied to the Bishops in the exercise of their ministry and obligations to the Church.
• The Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops is an at-will employer.
• Fast paced environment
• Smoke Free environment
• Operate a personal vehicle
• Walking, standing, and sitting for hours during legislative session and hearings
• Will be required to work occasional weekends and evening hours
• Moderate overnight travel
Inquiries should email resumes to email@example.com