Director of Children’s Faith Formation
Director of Children’s Faith Formation is responsible for the total faith formation process of the parish for children Kindergarten – 5th grades as designated by the pastor. The Director of Children’s Faith Formation works closely with the Coordinator of Youth Ministry and the Coordinator of Adult Faith Formation to ensure that the parish has a comprehensive plan for the faith formation of all parishioners
The Director of Children’s Faith Formation develops, plans, organizes, and implements the parish catechetical program, sacramental preparation initiatives, Children’s Liturgy of the Word, and other faith and spiritual formation opportunities and events for children and their families. The director reports to the Pastor and operates with wide latitude for the use of independent judgment and initiative.
The DRE manages program content, staff and volunteers, and budget; coordinates with other parish ministries and activities as needed; In addition, the DRE shall:
• Articulate a vision of catechesis and the catechetical process based on the major catechetical documents of the Church.
• Review, evaluate, and develop programs, mission statements, long and short range goals and objectives.
• Conduct ongoing assessment of parish catechetical and evangelization needs and help the parish community evaluate and carry out its role as a catechizing agent.
• Conduct ongoing recruitment, training and formation of catechists, aides, and other volunteers as needed.
• Apply appropriate principles of human development, especially faith and moral development, to a catechetical program.
• Utilize appropriate methodologies of child to adult-centered learning.
• Facilitate and support a program of catechist formation according to the diocesan certification norms.
• Involve the family as essential agents in the faith formation of children and adolescents.
• Use media and technology for effective program implementation.
• Incorporate service opportunities such as the Parish Family Service Days and reflections on these experiences in the catechetical program with the children and their family; especially linking such opportunities to the fostering of peace and justice.
• Provide opportunities for participation in prayer, personal spiritual development and communal worship for families and catechists.
• Highest level of professional demeanor and work habits including maintaining confidentiality
• Ability to lead multiple efforts at one time
• Ability to direct and lead people and initiatives
• Skills for collaborative ministry and leadership
• Bilingual (English and Spanish)
• Must be Punctual and have excellent organizational skills
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, English and Spanish
• Experience working with diverse communities and an ability to demonstrate cultural sensitivity
• Technology proficient in data base applications such as PDS is a plus.
• Knowledge of Microsoft applications (MS Word, Excel, Publisher, etc.)
• Ability to handle flexible hours including evenings and weekends
• BA in Religious Studies or related field; MA in Theology, Religious Education or Pastoral Studies preferred.
• 5 years’ experience in ministry of Catechesis
• Must be bilingual (English and Spanish)
• Must be a practicing Catholic in good standing.
• Must be certified in Diocese of Austin EIM within 30 days of employment and maintain certification throughout the employment period.
Please submit resume via email or fax. Deadline for submissions is 5/26/17.