Responsible for keeping the Cathedral campus clean and sanitary. Responsible for insuring that all cleaning equipment and materials are maintained in manner consistent with safe and efficient working practices.
1. Responsible for cleaning assigned spaces, which may include Cathedral, cafeteria, offices, classrooms, gym area, hallways, stairs, restrooms, etc. Keep buildings clean and orderly. Dust and/or wax desks, table tops, and work surfaces as directed.
2. Keep restrooms clean and well supplied at all times. Clean fixtures with proper cleaning solution and disinfectant.
3. Mix water, detergents, or chemicals to prepare cleaning solutions according to specifications.
4. Provide floor care daily to include sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, scrubbing, applying floor finish.
5. Keep closets clean and supplied with the cleaning materials necessary for the job. Keep closets locked when not in use.
6. Replace light bulbs and tubes, ceiling tiles and other building supply items which are provided for installation by the custodial staff.
7. Empty trash and garbage containers into designated trash bin for the building.
8. Clean debris from sidewalk and driveway from street to building.
9. Safely use hand tools and power tools.
10. Move and/or set up desks, tables, file/storage cabinets, and chairs in building as directed.
11. Report major building maintenance repair or hazards to the Facilities Manager.
12. Operate cleaning equipment within common, acceptable, and demonstrated safety procedures.
13. Perform minor and routine maintenance through painting, plumbing, and other activities.
14. Participate in team time activities and special projects as scheduled by the supervisor or when help is needed due to absences, etc.
15. Performs all duties in a safe manner to avoid injury to oneself and/or to others.
16. Keep building secure during regular operating hours.
17. Ensure all doors to be locked are locked and all windows are closed and locked before leaving each day/night.
18. Know the opening and closing procedures of the campus.
19. Maintain security on campus in accordance with campus policy procedures.
20. Perform other duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
1. High School Graduate or GED preferred
2. Knowledge of how to safely operate all housekeeping equipment used in the buildings.
3. Needs to be dependable and consistent in work habits.
4. Needs to be able to talk and interact with clergy, managers, Cathedral and school staff and students.
5. Knowledge of reading and writing and the use of simple arithmetic.
6. Ability to work well with others.
7. Ability to follow both written and verbal instructions that require individual thought to complete a series of tasks
8. Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with co-workers and supervisor
9. Ability to perform work tasks independent of constant supervision
10. Ability to perform repetitive work on a continuous basis
11. Ability to move hands easily and skillfully to handle/operate tools/machines to perform required tasks
12. Ability to interpret policy and procedure in relation to the job position, safety, and health
13. Ability to perform a variety of different types of tasks without the variety itself causing a loss of efficiency
14. Ability to perform routine activities of an organized schedule
1. The job requires the individual to work inside and outside in an uncontrolled environment.
2. The working hours are regularly 40 hours per week.
3. The hours may vary as needed by the Cathedral, including evenings and weekends.
4. The physical demands of the job are:
- Medium lifting and/or carrying objects (0 to 33% of the work day) with medium lifting and or carrying objects (34 to 66% of the work day) or light lifting and/or carrying objects (67 to 99% of the workday).
- Standing/walking up to 2 ½ hours at a time during the work day.
- Climb ladder up to 15 feet in height.
- Kneel, stoop, and/or crawl on occasion (0 to 33 % of the workday).
- Reach from ground level to above head (with one or both hands) with up to 20 pounds of weight on occasion (0 to 33% of the workday).
- Grasp and handle tools, materials, and other objects weighing up to 60 pounds.
- Push/pull with approximately 40 pounds of strength/force to use broom, mop, electric floor polisher/buffer, lawn mower, etc.
- Balance to work safely on wet or slippery surface.
5. Possess a valid Texas driver’s license and auto insurance.
6. Practicing Catholic in good standing, although not required.
7. Must be certified in Diocese of Austin EIM within 90 days of employment, and maintain certification throughout the employment period.
Submit a completed application, available on Cathedral website at http://smcaustin.org/employment.