The Friday E-Pistle (Oct. 7, 2016)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
Faithful Citizenship and elections
As we approach the upcoming presidential election, I strongly recommend that the faithful of the Diocese read Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship: A Call to Political Responsibility. This document provides the necessary guidance for Catholics seeking to make informed decisions about voting. In addition, I invite you to visit our webpage on Faithful Citizenship that has many valuable resources for the individual and our parishes. As a reminder to our parishes and the faithful: no documents related to the election may be distributed on church property except for Faithful Citizenship and voter registration cards.
Consider using the following meditation for the 30th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Oct. 23):
- Righteousness is the state of being in right relationship with God – being in a state of grace. Justification restores the fractured relationship with God. The Pharisee in today’s Gospel does all the right things: he fasts, tithes, is honest, and is not greedy. As important as actions are, he wrongly believes his actions justify him before God. The tax collector, on the other hand, knows he has fallen short and is entirely dependent upon God’s mercy. He gives us the Jesus Prayer: “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.” The tax collector went home in a state of grace because he humbled himself before God. What is the motivation behind our actions? Is it humble service to God? God hears the prayer of the lowly servant.
- El ser justo es el estado de estar en una buena relación con Dios - estar en un estado de gracia. El hacer lo justo restaura la relación fracturada con Dios. El Fariseo en el Evangelio de hoy hace todas las cosas de manera correcta: ayuna, paga el diezmo, es honesto y no es avaro. Mientras que las acciones son importantes, él piensa equivocadamente que las suyas lo justifican ante Dios. El cobrador de impuestos, por otro lado, sabe que se ha quedado corto y que depende enteramente de la misericordia de Dios. Él nos da la Oración de Jesús: "Señor Jesucristo, Hijo de Dios, ten misericordia de mí que soy un pecador". El cobrador de impuestos se fue a casa en un estado de gracia por que se humilló a si mismo frente a Dios ¿Cuál es la motivación detrás de nuestras acciones? ¿Es el servicio humilde a Dios? Dios escucha la oración del siervo humilde.
Stewardship and Development
Catholic Services Appeal
Thanks to everyone who attended a training session or deanery meeting concerning the Catholic Services Appeal. You should have received your materials at this meeting. If your parish has not received CSA materials, please contact Laurie Proveaux at (512) 949-2440 to arrange for pick-up of your CSA materials. Priests can also pickup materials at the luncheon on Oct. 11.
Special Collection money due
Please send funds from the Peter’s Pence special collection taken up June 25-26 to the diocesan Finance Office as soon as possible. Send checks to Finance Office, Diocese of Austin, 6225 Hwy. 290 East, Austin 78723.
Life, Charity, and Justice
Nov. 5: Living the Good News Conference
The Living the Good News Conference will be held Nov. 5 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at St. Dominic Savio Catholic High School in Austin. Bishop Joe Vásquez will celebrate Mass. The cost is $25 per person. For more information, contact Vicky Chavez at (512) 949-2486 or visit www.austindiocese.org/livingthegoodnews.
Pope Francis’ prayer request
Please consider Pope Francis’ prayer requests for the month of October:
- That journalists, in carrying out their work, may always be motivated by respect for truth and a strong sense of ethics …
- Para que los periodistas, en el ejercicio de su profesión, estén siempre motivados por el respeto a la verdad y un fuerte sentido ético ...
- That World Mission Day may renew within all Christian communities the joy of the Gospel and the responsibility to announce it …
- Para que la Jornada Mundial de las Misiones renueve en todas las comunidades cristianas la alegría y la responsabilidad de anunciar el Evangelio ...
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request for the 30th Sunday in Ordinary (Oct. 23):
- For the Church, that we may always bow before the Lord through humble acts of service, we pray…
- Por la Iglesia, para que siempre nos inclinemos ante el Señor a través de actos humildes de servicio, oremos...
Parish address update
The mailing address for St. Margaret Parish in Giddings and St. Mary Mission in Pin Oak has changed. Please update your records with the new address:485 S. Leon St. Giddings, TX 78942-4219
The physical addresses for the churches have not changed.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.