The Friday E-Pistle (Sept. 2, 2016)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
Faithful Citizenship and elections
As we approach the upcoming presidential election, I strongly recommend that the faithful of the Diocese read Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship: A Call to Political Responsibility. This document provides the necessary guidance for Catholics seeking to make informed decisions about voting. In addition, I invite you to visit our webpage on Faithful Citizenship that has many valuable resources for the individual and our parishes.
Pastoral Plan implementation
Join Bishop Daniel Garcia Sept. 15 at Sacred Heart Parish in Waco for a presentation in Spanish on the diocesan Pastoral Plan. The evening begins at 6 p.m. with an optional meal served by the parish for $9 per person. Bishop Garcia's presentation is from 7 to 9 p.m. and includes an opportunity for dialog and reflection about the Pastoral Plan. These fliers can be used to advertise this and upcoming events.
- Have you checked out the new microsite for the Pastoral Plan? It can be accessed directly at www.austindioceseplan.org or through a link on the main web page, www.austindiocese.org. The site is updated every week with new information and links containing ideas and recommendations to implement the Plan.
- Under Goal 1, the second initiative calls for "strategies that support the family as the Domestic Church." Paulist Evangelization Ministries has released a new resource entitled Awakening Faith which "is a friendly, simple tool that helps Catholic parents reconnect with the fundamentals of faith today.”
- The V Encuentro process is an invitation from the Catholic bishops to every Catholic in the U.S. to engage in becoming authentic and joyful missionary disciples, who continue learning and following Jesus’ steps as we share the Good News. The V Encuentro process has begun in our diocese, and we invite you to come and learn about it and find out how you, your family, your ministry and your parish can be part of this process. Join us at one of our introductory sessions listed on this flier. All sessions will be bilingual (in English and Spanish). Registration is not required, but we encourage attendees to register online. For more information, call (512) 949-2426.
- El proceso del V Encuentro es una invitación de los obispos a cada católico en los EE.UU. para involucrarse en convertirse en discípulos misioneros auténticos y alegres, que continúan aprendiendo y siguiendo los pasos de Jesús, mientras van compartiendo la Buena Nueva. El proceso del V Encuentro ha iniciado en nuestra diócesis, y lo invitamos a venir y conocer más de ello y averiguar cómo usted, su familia, su ministerio y parroquia pueden ser parte de este proceso. Acompáñenos en una de las sesiones introductorias que aparecen en este volante. Todas las sesiones serán bilingües, inglés y español. La inscripción no es requerida, pero animamos a los asistentes a inscribirse en línea. Para más información llame al (512) 949-2426.
Consider using the following meditation for the 25th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Sept. 18):
- A steward is called to manage the master’s possessions wisely and well even while the master is away. How do I use the gifts God has given to me? Do I share my talents with others freely? Do I use my resources to assist others in need? How enterprising am I in using my talents and resources for building up God’s Kingdom?
- Un administrador está llamado a manejar las posesiones de su amo con sabiduría y de buena manera mientras que su amo está lejos ¿Cómo uso los dones que Dios me ha dado? ¿Comparto mis talentos con otros libremente? ¿Uso mis recursos para asistir a otros necesitados? ¿Qué tan emprededor soy en usar mis talentos y recursos para construir el reino de Dios?
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
The EIM office is training new facilitators for the EIM Workshop (for adults) on Sept. 10 and Nov. 5 (new facilitators need only attend one date); and new facilitators for Called to Protect for Youth (CTPY – the abuse prevention/education program for middle/high school students) on Oct. 22. For more information about being a workshop facilitator, please visit the diocesan website. Those interested in being trained to facilitate the adult EIM workshop and/or the CTPY program should submit a New Facilitator Application, along with the requested information, to the EIM office. Please contact Emily Hurlimann at (512) 949-2447 with questions. Once the application is received and reviewed by the EIM office, applicants will be contacted with specifics for the upcoming training sessions.
Stewardship and Development
Catholic Services Appeals Sessions
Priests, parish secretaries, business administrators, Catholic Services Appeal coordinators, and stewardship and development administrators are strongly encouraged to attend one of the following training sessions regarding this year’s Catholic Services Appeal.
- You are welcome to attend the session that is most convenient for you.
- At least one person from each parish must attend.
- New pastors and newly ordained priests are encouraged to attend.
- Topics covered will include: previous CSA results, raising awareness, parish materials, the CSA case statement, conducting the appeal, and return procedures.
- Parish CSA materials will be distributed at this time.
- You must RSVP in order to receive your materials.
Please RSVP online by Sept. 13, 2016.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request for the 25th Sunday in Ordinary (Sept. 18):
- For the people of God, that we would use our time, talent and treasure generously for building up God’s Kingdom …
- Por la gente de Dios, para que usemos nuestro tiempo, talento y tesoro de manera generosa para construir el Reino de Dios...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.