The Friday E-Pistle (July 1, 2016)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Most Rev. Daniel Garcia as canonical pastor of St. Ann Parish in Somerville and Blessed Virgin Mary Mission in Old Washington-on-the-Brazos, effective July 18, 2016.
- Rev. Uche Obikwelu, pastor at St. Charles Borromeo Parish in Kingsland and Our Lady of the Lake Mission in Sunrise Beach, effective July 18, 2016.
- Friar Jorge Hernandez de Luna, OFM Conv., as administrator at Santa Barbara Parish in Austin, effective July 18, 2016.
- Rev. Lawrence A. Rice, CSP, as director at University Catholic Center in Austin, effective July 1, 2016.
- Rev. James Deaconson, parochial vicar at St. Mary Parish in Brenham and sacramental minister at St. Ann Parish in Somerville and Blessed Virgin Mary Mission in Old Washington-on-the-Brazos, effective July 18, 2016.
- Rev. Francisco Osnaya Vargas, OFM Conv., as parochial vicar at Santa Barbara Parish in Austin, effective June 17, 2016.
- Rev. Enrique Hernandez Montoya, OFM Conv., as parochial vicar at Cristo Rey Parish in Austin, effective July 18, 2016.
- Rev. Yao (Jimmy) Hsu, CSP, as associate director at University Catholic Center in Austin, effective July 1, 2016.
- Rev. Richard R. Andre, CSP, as parochial vicar at St. Austin Parish in Austin, effective July 1, 2016.
- Rev. James R. Martin, CSC, as chaplain of St. Joseph Hall at St. Edward’s University in Austin, effective July 1, 2016.
- Deacon Don Sims, parish contact at St. Ann Parish in Somerville, effective July 18, 2016.
- Deacon Limas Sweed, parish contact at Blessed Virgin Mary Mission in Old Washington-on-the-Brazos, effective July 18, 2016.
We offer congratulations and blessings to Most Rev. David Konderla, a priest of the Diocese of Austin, who was ordained and installed as the fourth Bishop of Tulsa on June 29.
All diocesan offices will be closed on Monday, July 4, in observance of Independence Day. Diocesan offices will reopen on Tuesday, July 5.
All are invited to the ordination of Deacons Payden Lee Blevins, Sean Regan DeWitt, Gregory Don Gerhart, Froy Jerez and Amado Ramos to the priesthood on July 9 at 10:30 a.m. at St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Austin.
Consider using the following meditation for the 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time (July 17):
- Hospitality and service are important Judeo-Christian values. Jesus reminds us, however, that our relationship with Him is primary. All we do must be done as for Christ. Are we busy about many things but are not focused on Christ? Prayer, sitting quietly at the feet of Christ, is essential to maintain our proper relationship with the Lord.
- La hospitalidad y el servicio son importantes valore Judeo-Cristianos. Jesús nos recuerda, sin embargo, que nuestra relación con Él es principal. Todo lo que hacemos debe ser hecho como si fuera para Cristo ¿Estamos ocupados con muchas cosas pero no enfocados en Cristo? La oración, callada a los pies de Cristo, es esencial para mantener nuestra relación apropiada con el Señor.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
- The Face of Mercy, a day of reflection, will be held July 18 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Participants will listen to the words of Jesus and Pope Francis to embrace mercy more deeply and to bring this gift of mercy to others. The cost is $35, which includes lunch. For more information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center will offer private retreats the weekends of July 22-24 and Aug. 26-28. Eight bedrooms will be available for self-guided silent retreats. A shared lounge with a kitchenette is available as well as confessions and adoration on Saturday evening and Mass on Sunday morning. Participants must bring their own food and spiritual reading. The cost is $100 for a private room or $160 for a shared room. For more information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or email@example.com.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request for the 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time (July 17):
- That we would spend time in quiet prayer at the feet of the Lord, so that all we undertake is done for love of Christ …
- Por que pasemos tiempo orando en silencio a los pies del Señor, para que todo lo que hagamos sea hecho por amor a Cristo...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.