The Friday E-Pistle (June 24, 2016)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
The following pastoral appointments will be effective July 18, 2016:
- Rev. Timothy Nolt, rector at St. Mary Cathedral in Austin.
- Rev. Albert Laforet, pastor at St. Thomas Aquinas Parish in College Station.
- Rev. Edwin Kagoo, pastor at Church of the Visitation in Westphalia.
- Rev. Walter Dhanwar, IMS, pastor at St. Martin Parish in Tours and St. Joseph Mission in Elk.
- Rev. Rafael Padilla, pastor at St. Michael Parish in Uhland and Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish in Martindale.
- Rev. Raymundo Chávez Vázquez, pastor at San Francisco Javier Parish in Austin and San Juan Diego Mission in Stony Point.
- Rev. Brian McMaster, pastor at St. Mary Catholic Center in College Station.
- Rev. Will Straten, pastor at St. Helen Parish in Georgetown.
- Rev. Uche Andeh, administrator at St. Margaret Parish in Giddings.
- Rev. Wade Russell, administrator at St. Ferdinand Parish in Blanco and Good Shepherd Mission in Johnson City.
- Rev. David Trahan, administrator at Our Lady of Wisdom University Parish in San Marcos.
- Rev. Barry Cuba, parochial vicar at St. Margaret Mary Parish in Cedar Park.
- Rev. John Boiko, parochial vicar at St. John the Evangelist Parish in San Marcos.
- Rev. Brion Zarsky, parochial vicar at St. John the Evangelist Parish in San Marcos.
- Rev. Tom Reitmeyer, parochial vicar at St. Joseph Parish in Killeen.
- Rev. Melesio Peter Espinoza, parochial vicar at St. Albert the Great Parish in Austin.
- Rev. Harry Dean Jr., correctional ministry.
- Msgr. William Brooks, Interim Minister to Priests.
2017 Special Collection
The 2017 Special Collection list has been revised to include the special collection for the Archdiocese for the Military Services. On the weekend of May 27-28, 2017, all parishes in the Diocese of Austin are asked to take up a special collection for the Archdiocese for the Military Services. The USCCB determined this collection is to be taken up every three years.
Due to this change and since most parishes have ordered materials, the Stewardship and Development office has placed an order with Our Sunday Visitor for one parish kit to be sent directly to pastors.
Consider using the following meditation for the 15th Sunday in Ordinary Time (July 10):
- Who is your neighbor? Israelites were to love other Israelites and resident aliens as they do themselves. The fact that a Samaritan is the one who attended to the injured man is astonishing in itself but that he went far beyond what was expected is amazing. A neighbor is not simply someone in need. How will we go beyond what is expected to care for and assist others? The law of God’s mercy is written in our hearts. How will we respond?
- ¿Quién es su prójimo? Los israelitas debían amar a otros israelitas y a extranjeros residentes tal como a si mismos. El hecho de que un Samaritano fuera quien atendió al hombre herido fue algo sorprendente en si mismo, pero el hecho de que Él haya ido más allá de lo esperado fue algo inimaginable. Un prójimo no es simplemente alguien necesitado ¿Cómo iremos más allá de lo que se espera de nosotros para cuidar y ayudar a otros? La ley de la misericordia de Dios está escrita en nuestros corazones ¿Cómo responderemos?
The 2016-17 Diocese of Austin Directory will be published in October. All parishes should have received a request to update their entry in the directory. Please send in your corrections and order forms as soon as possible. For more information, contact Shelley Metcalf.
Special Collection money due
Please send funds from the Ashes to Easter collection boxes, taken up during Lent, to the diocesan Finance Office as soon as possible. Send checks to Finance Office, Diocese of Austin, 6225 Hwy. 290 East, Austin 78723.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request for the 15th Sunday in Ordinary Time (July 10):
- That we may embody God’s mercy in our service to one another and to all those we encounter regardless of nationality, race or religion ...
- Por que personifiquemos la misericordia de Dios en nuestro servicio mutuo y hacia aquellos que nos encontramos sin importar su nacionalidad, raza, religión ...
Blessings and congratulations to …
The following priests on the anniversary of their ordination during the month of July:
- Rev. Raymundo Chávez Vázquez, July 2, 2000
- Rev. Francis Chung, July 5, 1993
- Rev. Kevin Rai, July 6, 1974
- Rev. Joseph Kim, July 7, 1984
- Very Rev. Christopher Ferrer, July 7, 2001
- Rev. Leon Strieder, July 10, 1976
- Rev. Larry Heimsoth, July 10, 1999
- Rev. Dimitrij Colankin, July 11, 1976
- Rev. David Leibham, July 11, 1987
- Very Rev. Michael O'Connor, July 13, 1985
- Rev. Marcelino Pena Tadeo, OFM Conv., July 13, 2003
- Rev. Jose Jazo Tarin, TOR, July 15, 2007
- Rev. Donald Moss, CHC, USNS, July 19, 1986
- Rev. Genaro Mayorga, TOR, July 19, 2015
- Rev. Timothy Vaverek, July 20, 1985
- Rev. Dean Wilhelm, July 23, 1988
- Rev. Jorge Hernandez de Luna, OFM Conv., July 24, 2004
- Rev. Boniface Onjefu Omale, July 25, 1998
- Rev. Leonard Onwumere, July 28, 1990
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.