The Friday E-Pistle (June 17, 2016)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
Statement on Orlando
Bishop Joe S. Vasquez released the following statement on Monday, June 13, in response to the mass shooting in Orlando on June 12:
Hate in all of its manifestations is a violation of God’s commandment, do not kill.
The tragic violence in Orlando Sunday morning was steeped in hate. We pray for the grieving family and friends of this massacre. I ask all in the Diocese of Austin to pray daily that hatred and anger will be removed from the hearts of everyone. Let us speak out against those who disrespect or abuse others because of their race, gender, social class, or sexual orientation. If we fail to manifest the love of Christ in these situations, who will? Every person is a child of God and is loved by God. Jesus revealed the depth of this on the Cross. Let us never fail to recognize Christ’s presence in any person who is insulted, ridiculed, abused or injured by others.
Peter's Pence Special collection: June 26
All parishes in the Diocese of Austin are to take up a special collection for Peter’s Pence at all Masses on the weekend of June 25-26. The following announcement should be read before all Masses that weekend:
- The Peter’s Pence Collection is taken up worldwide to support the most disadvantaged – victims of war, oppression, natural disasters and others in need of emergency assistance. Pope Francis has asked us to “care for those who are in need of attention, understanding and help, to bring them the warm closeness of God’s love through tangible actions of sensitivity, of sincere affection and of love.” The Holy Father uses the Peter’s Pence Collection to strengthen dioceses, religious orders and struggling communities of faith when they need it most.
- La Colecta Peter's Pence se recoge a nivel mundial para apoyar a los menos privilegiados – víctimas de guerra, opresión, desastres naturales y otras personas necesitadas de asistencia de emergencia. El Papa Francisco nos ha pedido que “cuidemos de aquellos que necesitan atención, entendimiento y ayuda, para llevarles la cálida cercanía del amor de Dios a través de acciones sensibles, de sincero afecto y amor”. El Santo Padre usa la Colecta de los Peniques de Pedro para fortalecer diócesis, órdenes religiosas y comunidades de fe en pleno conflicto cuando más lo necesitan.
Consider using the following meditation for the 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time (July 3):
- When we prepare for a trip we pack supplies and make plans for lodging and transportation. Jesus sends the disciples with nothing so that they rely upon God to supply all their needs. Their focus is entirely on their mission to make present the Kingdom of God. Where do you make the Kingdom of God present? What concerns hinder your focus that you need to give to God?
- Cuando nos preparamos para un viaje, empacamos lo necesario y hacemos planes sobre el hotel y la transportación. Jesús envía a sus discípulos sin nada para que puedan confiar en que Dios suplirá para sus necesidades. Su enfoque es totalmente en su misión de hacer presente el Reino de Dios ¿Dónde hace usted que el Reino de Dios esté presente? ¿Qué preocupaciones le quitan el enfoque que usted necesita tener puesto en Dios?
Stewardship and Development
Catholic Services Appeal 2016-17
“The theme for the 2016-17 Catholic Services Appeal is “Living Water – Drink and You Will Never Thirst.” Feedback we have received from the diocesan Pastoral Plan is that parishioners want more information about our faith. In order to fulfill that desire, we have redesigned the in-pew pledge card to include Catholic teachings surrounding the theme. The pledge card will include a prayer and blessings. We will have more information at the deanery and CSA training sessions in the fall.
Special Collection money due
Please send funds collected for Catholic Relief Services special collection, taken up March 5-6 and the Holy Land special collection, taken up on Good Friday, March 25, to the diocesan Finance Office as soon as possible. Send checks to Finance Office, Diocese of Austin, 6225 Highway 290 East, Austin, TX 78723.
Office of Black Catholics
The next Courageous Conversation on Racism will be at the diocesan Pastoral Center on June 20 at 6:30 p.m. All are welcome to attend.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request for the 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time (July 3):
- That as faithful disciples we will trust in the goodness of God to provide for our needs so that we may focus entirely on making the presence of God known in our families, our relationships, our work and our play ...
- Por que, como discípulos fieles confiemos en que la bondad de Dios proveerá para nuestras necesidades para que podamos enfocarnos completamente en hacer que la presencia de Dios sea conocida en nuestras familias, relaciones, trabajo y lugares de entretenimiento...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.