The Friday E-Pistle (June 10, 2016)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Deacon Don Gessler has been granted retirement status, effective June 12, 2016.
- Deacon Raymond Sanders Jr., has been granted retirement status, effective June 30, 2016.
- Deacon Jerry Klement has been granted retirement status, effective July 1, 2016.
- Deacons George Lillard (March 28, 2016) and W. J. Ham (April 1, 2016) were granted retirement status earlier this year.
All are invited to the ordination of Deacons Payden Lee Blevins, Sean Regan DeWitt, Gregory Don Gerhart, Froy Jerez and Amado Ramos to the priesthood on July 9 at 10:30 a.m. at St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Austin.
Msgr. Mark Deering died June 3 in Waco at 94. Please pray for the repose of his soul and for his family.
Consider using the following meditation for the 13th Sunday in Ordinary Time (June 26):
- Jesus is resolutely determined to journey to Jerusalem where he would suffer, die and rise. The image given today is a straight line. Our eyes are to be fixed on the Lord proclaiming the Kingdom of God by dying to ourselves to bring new life to others. What distractions do you find in your daily life that keep you from being focused on Jesus? What prevents you from resolutely following Jesus?
- Jesús está absolutamente resuelto a viajar a Jerusalén en donde sufrirá, morirá y resucitará. La imagen dada hoy es una línea recta. Nuestros ojos están fijos en el Señor proclamando el Reino de Dios al morir a nosotros mismos y al dar nueva vida a otros ¿Qué distracciones encuentra usted en su vida diaria que le impiden mantenerse enfocado en Jesús? ¿Qué le impide seguir a Jesús de manera decidida?
Religious vocations from you parish
The Vocation Office is compiling its annual vocation poster, representing women and men from our diocese who have entered religious communities. We are searching for aspirants, postulants, novices, and temporary professed men and women who were born and raised in the Austin Diocese or those who studied or worked here for a number of years. Please help us update the vocation poster by providing us their names and contact information or ask them to contact Julie Gray at (512) 949-2430. Please provide the person’s name, the name of the religious community, the stage in formation and home parish in the Austin Diocese, as well as contact information for the person and a headshot photograph. The deadline for submissions is Sept. 1.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
- The Cup of Life, a day of reflection, will be held June 22 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Those thirsting for a more intimate life of prayer will find a wellspring of enrichment in “The Cup of Life” by Sister Joyce Rupp. Participants will explore the book and the “cups” that fill our lives. The cost is $35, which includes lunch. For information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436.
- The Face of Mercy, a day of reflection, will be held July 18 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Cedarbrake. As the Year of Mercy continues, participants will listen to the words of Jesus and Pope Francis to embrace mercy more deeply and to bring this gift of mercy to others. The cost is $35, which includes lunch. For information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request for the 13th Sunday in Ordinary Time (June 26):
- That we support one another to remove all that distracts us from resolutely following the Lord …
- Por que nos apoyemos unos a otros en remover todo lo que nos distrae de seguir al Señor de manera decidida...
Annual Men’s Mass
The eighth annual Men’s Mass will be celebrated by Bishop Joe Vásquez on July 23 at 10 a.m. at St. Mary Cathedral in Austin. A reception will follow the Mass in Bishop’s Hall.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.