The Friday E-Pistle (May 13, 2016)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
We announce with great joy that Pope Francis has appointed Father David Konderla, pastor of St. Mary Catholic Center in College Station, as the fourth Bishop of Tulsa, Okla. He succeeds retiring Bishop Edward Slattery, who will be 76 in August and who was appointed Bishop of Tulsa in 1994. Bishop-elect Konderla will be ordained and installed June 29 at 2 p.m. in Tulsa. Bishop-elect Konderla will hold a press conference at noon today in Tulsa, and a second press conference at the Diocese of Austin Pastoral Center on May 17 at 10 a.m.
- Rev. Hilario Guajardo as Spiritual Adviser for the Spanish Cursillo Movement, effective May 11, 2016.
All diocesan offices will be closed on Monday, May 30, in observance of Memorial Day. Offices will reopen on Tuesday, May 31.
Please pray for the priests of our diocese who will be at their annual summer gathering from May 31 to June 2.
Consider using the following meditation for the Solemnity of Corpus Christi (May 29):
- At time like the disciples in today’s Gospel, we may believe that our gifts are insufficient. Jesus demonstrates that if we will give him all that we have, he will make our gifts more than sufficient. As we gather to celebrate the Eucharist each Sunday or each day, what gifts do we bring? Do we give the Lord our entire self?
- En ocasiones, tal como los discípulos en el Evangelio de hoy, puede que pensemos que nuestros dones son insuficientes. Jesús demostró que si le entregamos a Él todo lo que tenemos, Él hará que nuestros dones sean más que suficiente. Mientras nos reunimos para celebrar la Eucaristía cada Domingo o cada día ¿Qué dones le presentamos? ¿Le damos al Señor todo nuestro ser?
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
Starting Anew, a retreat that acknowledges the pain of divorce, but also looks to build new dreams and restore hope, will be held June 3-5 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. The cost for the retreat is $210 for a private room, $170 for a shared room and $95 for commuter rate; all meals are included. For information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request for the Solemnity of Corpus Christi (May 29):
- For the Church, the Body of Christ, transformed by the Eucharist, may we go forth to share all that the Lord has given us, joyfully proclaiming the love of God to all people …
- Por la Iglesia, el Cuerpo de Cristo, transformado por la Eucaristía, para que podamos salir a compartir todo lo que el Señor nos ha dado, proclamando con gozo el amor de Dios a toda su gente...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.