The Friday E-Pistle (Sept. 25, 2015)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Rev. Jayaraju Polisetty, parochial vicar of St. Mary Cathedral in Austin, effective Oct. 2, 2015.
Fall Retreat with Bishop Vásquez
Religious priests, sisters and brothers serving in the Diocese of Austin are invited to attend a Fall Retreat with Bishop Joe Vásquez on Oct. 10 at the Pastoral Center in Austin. The theme of the retreat is on the gifts of consecrated life. Registration will begin at 9 a.m. and opening prayer begins at 9:30 a.m. Lunch will be provided. The retreat will conclude at 2:30 p.m. RSVP by Sept. 30 to Janice Ingram at (512) 949-2401.
World Priest Day
World Marriage Encounter will host its annual World Priest Day celebration on Oct. 22 at 6:30 p.m. at St. Ignatius Martyr Parish in Austin. All priests, deacons and seminarians are invited to attend. Cost is $25 for non-clergy. For more information call (512) 291-6338.
Please consider using the following meditation for the 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Oct. 11):
- Biblical wisdom is to recognize God as the true source and fulfillment of all. Things are temporary and fleeting. Have we allowed God’s word to penetrate us? Do we really rely upon God entirely or do we trust in our own means? God asks us to rely on him completely. What possessions, relationship or practices are we unwilling to give up to follow Christ?
- La sabiduría bíblica es reconocer a Dios como la verdadera fuente y realización de todo. Las cosas son temporales y fugaces ¿Hemos permitido que Dios entre en nosotros? ¿Realmente confiamos en Dios enteramente o confiamos en nuestros propios medios? Dios nos pide que confiemos en el completamente ¿Qué posesiones, relaciones o prácticas no estamos dispuestos a renunciar para seguir a Cristo?
Young Adult Ministry
Theology on Tap
Join Theology on Tap on Oct. 6 at Santa Rita Cantina (5900 W. Slaughter Ln., Austin, Texas 78749) where Sherie Zebrowski will present on the relationship between the Old and the New Testament. The evening opens at 6 p.m. with music by Kevin Kapchinski, and the presentation will begin at 7 p.m.
Stewardship and Development Office
Catholic Services Appeal
Trainings for the 2015-2016 Catholic Services Appeal will be held next week. Topics covered will include raising awareness, how to use parish materials, the CSA case statement, conducting the Appeal, and return procedures. Parish CSA materials will be distributed at this time. The trainings are
- Sept. 29, 10 to 11:30 a.m. at Santa Cruz Parish in Buda
- Sept. 30, 10 to 11:30 a.m. at St. Thomas Aquinas Parish in College Station
- Sept. 30, 1:30 to 3 p.m. at St. Margaret Parish in Giddings
The annual Red Mass is a historic tradition within the Catholic Church dating back to the 13th century when it officially opened the term of the Court for most European countries. This year’s guest speaker is Professor Lucia A. Silecchia of The Catholic University of America. The Red Mass is Oct. 8 and begins at 6 p.m. at St. Mary Cathedral with a ticketed dinner/reception following. To purchase tickets, visit www.austindiocese.org/redmass or e-mail email@example.com.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
- A Dinner for Single Catholics from the diocese will be held Oct. 10 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Good food, fellowship and two brief reflections will make up this evening. The evening begins at 6:30 p.m. The cost is $15 per person. For more information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Created in His Image,” a day of reflection with Father Joseph Nisari, will be held Oct. 12 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. With psychology and Scripture, Father Nisari will address the question of “who am I” with participants. The cost is $35, which includes lunch. For more information or to register, contact email@example.com or call (254) 780-2436.
Pro-Life Volunteer Retreat – Day of Reflection
Gabriel Project Angels needed
Gabriel Project Angels are volunteers who work with those in need of emotional and spiritual support due to an unplanned pregnancy. There is a need for angels across the diocese. The next Gabriel Project training class will be held at St. Ignatius Martyr Parish in Austin on Oct. 3 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information click here or contact Mary Helen Russell at (512) 949-2488.
Annunciation Maternity Home Charity Golf Tournament
Join Annunciation Maternity Home at their Annual Charity Golf Tournament on Oct. 26 at The Golf Club at Star Ranch. Registration opens at 11 a.m. with a 1 p.m. shotgun Start. The cost of $125 per player includes golf, barbecue dinner and player’s bag. Sponsorship and volunteer opportunities are available. For more information or registration visit www.thematernityhome.org or call (512) 864-7755.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Facilitator Training for adult workshops
On Oct. 31, the Ethics and Integrity in Ministry Office will train new facilitators for the EIM workshops for adults (Basic and Refresher). The day-long facilitator training (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) equips facilitators to present the workshops at their own parish/Catholic school. The frequency and location of workshops that facilitators choose to do is up to the individual facilitator. Facilitators attending the training receive a manual and DVDs that covers the logistics and details of the programs and information about the topic of sexual abuse. Those interested in being trained to facilitate the EIM workshops should submit a New Facilitator Application, along with the requested information, to the EIM office by Oct. 16. Contact Emily Hurlimann at (512) 949-2447 with questions. Once the application is received and reviewed by the EIM office, applicants will be contacted with details of the training session.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Oct. 11):
- For today’s disciples who have been blessed with goods and resources, may we give to those in need bringing them the comfort of Christ and freeing ourselves to more completely rely upon God…
- Por los discípulos de hoy que han sido bendecidos con buenos recursos, para que demos a aquellos necesitados, llevándoles el consuelo de Cristo y liberándonos a nosotros mismos para confiar más completamente en Dios...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.