The Friday E-Pistle (Aug. 14, 2015)
A message from Bishop Vasquez
Administrative staff retreat
The annual Administrative Staff Retreat is Oct. 14 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. The main speakers are Father Charlie Garza, pastor of St. Martin de Porres Parish in Dripping Springs, and Jeremy Rodriguez of Soundwave. See this flier for more information and a registration form.
Please remember in prayer Rev. Karel J. Fink, 69, who died Aug. 5. He was ordained as a priest for the Diocese of Austin on June 1, 1991. Services were held Aug. 8.
Please consider using the following meditation for the 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time (Aug. 30):
- St. Mark acknowledges signs when we may not be fully turned toward God: “evil thoughts, unchastity, theft, murder, adultery, greed, hatred, deceit, wastefulness, envy, blasphemy, arrogance, foolishness.” When do my actions reveal that I am not turned entirely toward God?
- San Marcos reconoce las señales que indican que puede que no estemos completamente volteando hacia Dios: "pensamientos de maldad, falta de castidad, asesinato, adulterio, avaricia, odio, engaño, despilfarro, envidia, blasfemia, arrogancia, necedad" ¿Cuando es que mis acciones revelan que no estoy volteando por completo hacia Dios?
Save the Date
- The diocesan celebration of Our Lady of Guadalupe will be on Dec. 5 at 8 a.m. at St. Anthony Parish in Kyle. Auxiliary Bishop Daniel Garcia will be the celebrant. The Mass will be followed by a celebration with food, music and activities for the whole family.
- La celebración diocesana de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe se llevará a cabo el día 5 de diciembre a las 8 a.m. en la Parroquia de St. Anthony en Kyle. El Obispo Auxiliar Daniel García será el celebrante. Después de la Misa se llevará a cabo una celebración con comida, música y actividades para toda la familia.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
Basics of the Bible
- Basics of the Bible, a day of reflection, will be held Aug. 22 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Participants are invited to spend a few hours getting to know Our Lord by learning more about the Bible. Learn how the Bible was formed and more importantly how it can form us into followers of Jesus. Brian Egan, director of Cedarbrake, will lead this day of reflection. Cost is $35, which includes lunch. For more information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or email@example.com.
- Retreat 101 will be held Sept. 19 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. This is a day designed for people who have never experienced a retreat, and an opportunity to get out of your routine and give yourself a chance to reflect upon how God moves in your life. It will be a casual day to discover God’s purpose. Wear comfortable clothes, shoes, and bring a friend if you want, or come to meet new friends. Feel refreshed and renewed and ready to move forward in your faith. Cheryl “Max” Maxwell, an extremely gifted retreat leader and former Director of the Office of Worship and Secretariat Director for Formation and Spirituality at the Diocese of Austin, will lead this retreat. Cost is $35 and includes lunch. For more information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bishop Vasquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time (Aug. 30):
- That we humbly welcome God’s Word into our hearts opening our lives to a conversation with God …
- Por que humildemente demos la bienvenida a la Palabra de Dios en nuestros corazones, abriendo así nuestras vidas hacia una conversación con Dios.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.