The Friday E-Pistle (Aug. 7, 2015)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Deacon Lee Jan has been assigned to St. Paul Parish in Austin, effective Aug. 3, 2015.
Save the Date: Red Mass
The annual diocesan Red Mass will be held Oct. 8 at St. Mary Cathedral in Austin.
Please consider using the following meditation for the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time (Aug. 23):
- In our lives, each of us is called to make important decisions. In today’s Gospel, some of those who witness the signs of Jesus decide to withdraw from him. Ask yourself, “Will I follow the Lord?”
- En nuestras vidas, todos estamos llamados a tomar decisiones importantes. En el Evangelio de hoy algunos de aquellos que son testigos de los signos de Jesús deciden dejarlo. Pregúntese a si mismo "¿Seguiría yo a Jesús?"
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
Basics of the Bible
Basics of the Bible, a day of reflection, will be held Aug. 22 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Participants are invited to spend a few hours getting to know Our Lord by learning more about the Bible. Learn how the Bible was formed and more importantly how it can form us into followers of Jesus. Brian Egan, director of Cedarbrake, will lead this day of reflection. Cost is $35, which includes lunch. For more information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pope Francis’ prayer intentions
Please consider Pope Francis’ prayer intentions for the month of August:
- That volunteers may give themselves generously to the service of the needy …
- Para que quienes colaboran en el campo del voluntariado se entreguen con generosidad al servicio de los necesitados...
- That setting aside our very selves we may learn to be neighbors to those who find themselves on the margins of human life and society …
- Para que, saliendo de nosotros mismos, sepamos hacernos prójimos de quienes se encuentran en las periferias de las relaciones humanas y sociales...
Bishop Vasquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time (Aug. 23):
- That Christ’s faithful will constantly seek the goodness of the Lord and humble themselves to follow the path of sacrifice and service, especially to the poor, the hungry, the immigrant, and the broken hearted …
- Que los fieles de Cristo busquen constantemente la bondad del Señor y sean humildes para seguir el camino del sacrificio y el servicio, especialmente para los pobres, los hambrientos, los inmigrantes y los que van con el corazón roto...
The University Catholic Center at the University of Texas will celebrate the 50th anniversary of its current building location across from the iconic Littlefield Fountain with a dinner and reception on Sept. 17. The celebration begins with Mass at the UCC at 5 p.m. followed by a dinner and reception at the AT&T Center. Visit www.utcatholic.org/50years for more information about tickets or sponsorships or contact Elizabeth Bertrand at (512) 476-7351.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.