The Friday E-Pistle (July 3, 2015)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Rev. Vincent Nguyen, hospital ministry in the Temple/Belton/Killeen/Copperas Cove area, effective June 29, 2015.
- Rev. Richard Sparks, CSP, parochial vicar at St. Austin Parish in Austin, effective July 1, 2015.
- Deacon Don Sims assigned to St. Ann Parish in Somerville, effective July 1, 2015.
All diocesan offices will be closed on July 3 in observance of Independence Day. Diocesan offices will reopen on July 6.
Please consider using the following meditation for the 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time (July 19):
- In today’s Gospel Jesus urges the disciples to “come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” We all need spiritual refreshment from time to time. How long has it been since you’ve been on a retreat? Why not make plans to attend one in the coming months?
- En el Evangelio de hoy, Jesús urge a los discípulos a "alejarse a un lugar desierto y descansar un rato". Todos necesitamos refrescarnos espiritualmente de vez en cuando ¿Cuánto tiempo ha pasado desde que usted ha participado en un retiro? ¿Por qué no planear asistir a uno en los próximos meses?
Registration for the annual diocesan youth softball tournament is open. The annual Co-ed High School Softball Tournament builds community through fun and fellowship among the youth of our diocese. Cost is $175 per team, with a maximum of two teams per parish. More information can be found on the diocesan website here or by contacting Adrian Sanchez.
Office of Religious
Year of Consecrated Life event
Celebrate the Year of Consecrate Life with the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist at a barbecue lunch on Sept. 19 from 11:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at their property in Georgetown. Families and children are welcome. See this flier for more information or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Catholic Charities of Central Texas
Counseling for early infant loss
Counseling Services, an office of Catholic Charities of Central Texas, is offering a free support group for individuals who have suffered the loss of a child due to miscarriage, stillbirth or early infant loss. The group is open to both women and men and will be held on Thursdays from 6 to 7:30 p.m. beginning July 30. The group will meet each Thursday through the end of 2015, and will be led by two Catholic counselors. For more information or to sign up, please contact Britt Echtenkamp, Program Manager of Counseling Services, at (512) 651-6152.
Stewardship and Development
So far 102 parishes have been converted to PDS ChurchOffice. All parishes will be contacted by a diocesan database team member prior to their conversion date with information to prepare for the conversion. The parish will have two weeks to review their data after their conversion. Please see the website at http://www.austindiocese.org/pds for the schedule as well as training sessions. We are also beginning the data synchronization process from the parishes to the diocese. The upcoming conversions this week are St. Joseph in Rockdale, St. Ferdinand in Blanco and Good Shepherd in Johnson City. Our date for project completion is on target for the end of July.
Pro-Life Activities Office
Infertility Prayer Service
The annual prayer service for those couples struggling with infertility or miscarriage will be celebrated by Bishop Daniel Garcia on July 22 at 7 p.m. at St. John Neumann Parish in Austin. All are invited to attend this service planned by Sarah’s Hope & Abraham's Promise, St. John Neumann Parish Culture of Life Committee and the diocesan offices of Pro-Life Activities and Family Life. A reception will be held after the service. For more information, contact SarahsHope@RabboniInstitute.org or call (512) 736-7334. RSVP at www.RabboniInstitute.org.
Pope Francis’ prayer intentions
Please consider Pope Francis’ prayer intentions for the month of July
- That political responsibility may be lived at all levels as a high form of charity …
- Por que la responsabilidad política sea vivida en todos los niveles como una forma de caridad elevada...
- That, amid social inequalities, Latin American Christians may bear witness to love for the poor and contribute to a more fraternal society …
- Que entre desigualdades sociales, los Cristianos Latinoamericanos sean testigos del amor por los pobres y contribuyan a una sociedad más fraternal...
Bishop Vasquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time (July 19):
- For those who continue to deal with the after effects of natural disasters in Central Texas …
- Por aquellos que continúan lidiando con los efectos posteriores de desastres naturales en el Centro de Texas...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.