The Friday E-Pistle (June 19, 2015)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
We congratulate all those selected to be awarded the 2015 Lumen Gentium awards. Unfortunately, we were unable to have the ceremony in Temple as planned due to the weather from Tropical Storm Bill.
Please consider using the following meditation for the 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time (July 5):
- The people in today’s Gospel judge Jesus because they did not believe that someone of his upbringing could have the wisdom, knowledge and power that he had. Have you ever been judged unfairly? Have you judged others unfairly? Pray for the gifts of the Holy Spirit to help during these times.
- La gente en el Evangelio de hoy juzga a Jesús por que ellos no creían que alguien de su crianza pudiera tener la sabiduría, el conocimiento y el poder que él tenía ¿Ha sido usted alguna vez juzgado injustamente? Ore por lo dones del Espíritu Santo para que le ayuden durante estos momentos.
Work has begun on the 2015-16 Diocese of Austin Directory. A request for directory changes was mailed to parishes a few weeks ago. Please send your directory corrections back to the diocesan Communications Office by June 26. If you have any questions, please e-mail Shelley Metcalf.
Discernment retreat for young men
Quo Vadis (Latin for “Where are you going?”) will be held from June 27 at 10 a.m. to June 28 at 4 p.m. at St. Thomas More Parish in Austin. This two-day retreat is designed to help young men in high school grow spiritually and allow them to think and pray about what God might be asking them to become. The retreat is for incoming freshmen to incoming seniors. Participants will have the opportunity to explore the themes of prayer, virtue, leadership and discernment. The retreat includes Mass, adoration, time for fun and recreation and the opportunity to get to know other young men pursuing holiness. The retreat is staffed by seminarians preparing for the priesthood and is co-sponsored by the Diocese of Austin Vocation Office and the St. Thomas More Parish Vocation Committee. The cost is $15. For more information, visit www.austinvocations.com or call the Vocation Office at (512) 949-2430. Deadline is Monday, June 22, 2015.
Meeting for matachines, concheros
- San José Parish in Austin is hosting a meeting on June 27 at 10 a.m. for the leaders of all matachines, concheros or Aztec dancers who would like to participate in the annual diocesan celebration of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which is scheduled for Dec. 5. The meeting will be in the parish chapel. For more information, call Felix Barrientos at (512) 436-4919.
- En la Parroquia de San José en Austin se llevará a cabo una reunión, el día 27 de junio a las 10 a.m. para todos los líderes de los matachines, concheros o danzantes aztecas que quisieran participar en la celebración anual diocesana de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, la cual está programada para el día 5 de diciembre. La reunión será en la capilla parroquial. Para mayor información, llame a Félix Barrientos al (512) 436-4919.
Bishop Vasquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time (July 5):
- For our country, its leaders and for the protection of religious freedom…
- Por nuestro país, sus líderes y por la protección de la libertad religiosa...
Blessings and congratulations to …
The following priests on the anniversary of their ordination during the month of July: Rev. Raymundo Chávez Vázquez, July 2, 2000; Rev. Francis KS Chung, July 5, 1993; Rev. Kevin Rai, July 6, 1974; Very Rev. Christopher Ferrer, July 7, 2001; Rev. Joseph Sae Eul Kim, July 7, 1984; Rev. Roman Burgos, July 7, 2002; Rev. Leon Strieder, July 10, 1976; Rev. Larry Heimsoth, July 10, 1999; Rev. Dimitrij Colankin, July 11, 1976; Rev. David Leibham, July 11, 1987; Very Rev. Michael O'Connor, July 13, 1985; Rev. James Chamberlain, July 19, 1986; Rev. Donald Moss, July 19, 1986; Rev. Timothy Vaverek, July 20, 1985; Rev. Dean Wilhelm, July 23, 1988; Rev. Boniface Onjefu, July 25, 1998 and Rev. Leonard J. Onwumere, July 28, 1990.
The seminarians at the North American College in Rome have begun a podcast called Catholic Bytes. For more information, visit www.catholicbytespodcast.com.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.