The Friday E-Pistle (June 12, 2015)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
Peter's Pence Special collection: June 28
All parishes in the Diocese of Austin are to take up a special collection for Peter’s Pence at all Masses on the weekend of June 27-28. The following announcement should be read before all Masses that weekend:
- The Peter’s Pence Collection is taken up worldwide to support the most disadvantaged – victims of war, oppression, natural disasters and others in need of emergency assistance. Pope Francis has asked us to “care for those who are in need of attention, understanding and help, to bring them the warm closeness of God’s love through tangible actions of sensitivity, of sincere affection and of love.” The Holy Father uses the Peter’s Pence Collection to strengthen dioceses, religious orders and struggling communities of faith when they need it most.
- La Colecta Peter's Pence se recoge a nivel mundial para apoyar a los menos privilegiados – víctimas de guerra, opresión, desastres naturales y otras personas necesitadas de asistencia de emergencia. El Papa Francisco nos ha pedido que “cuidemos de aquellos que necesitan atención, entendimiento y ayuda, para llevarles la cálida cercanía del amor de Dios a través de acciones sensibles, de sincero afecto y amor”. El Santo Padre usa la Colecta de los Peniques de Pedro para fortalecer diócesis, órdenes religiosas y comunidades de fe en pleno conflicto cuando más lo necesitan.
Please consider using the following meditation for the 13th Sunday in Ordinary Time (June 28):
- Jesus tells the synagogue official, “Do not be afraid; just have faith.” Offer up, in prayer, whatever is troubling you. Take time to imagine Jesus speaking these powerful and consoling words to you personally.
- Jesús dice al oficial de la sinagoga, "No temas; sólo ten fe".Ofrezca en oración lo que sea que le esté preocupando. Dese el tiempo de imaginar a Jesús diciéndole a usted estas palabras consoladoras y poderosas.
Cross Training, which will take place July 9-12 is designed specifically for incoming high school freshman throughout the Diocese of Austin. Cross Training's mission is to prepare Catholic teens for the rigors of high school by arming them with the tools of their faith. A typical day at Cross Training includes presentations, prayer, service projects, worship and tons of social activities — in other words, a whole lot of fun! Cost is $185 per participant, which includes lodging, meals, tuition, all materials and supplies and T-shirt. The cost does not include transportation. Application and non-refundable deposit of $85 are due at the registration deadline of June 13. Visit here for more information, or e-mail Adrian Sanchez or call (512) 949-2464.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
- Starting Anew, a weekend retreat, will be held July 17-19 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Men and women who have gone through divorce and seek healing and support are invited to attend this retreat. The cost is $150, which includes a shared room and meals. For more information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or email@example.com.
- Mary and the Saints, a day of reflection, will be held July 29 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Lynda Villasana will present the day, share her own stories, insights and experiences of Mary and the saints. The day will also include the chance to share your own experiences, quiet time, Mass and lunch. The cost is $35. For more information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bishop Vasquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 13th Sunday in Ordinary Time (June 28):
- For those who are anxious, distraught or depressed …
- Por aquellos que se encuentran ansiosos, preocupados o deprimidos...
Blessings and congratulations to …
The following priest on the anniversary of his ordination during the month of June: Rev. Craig DeYoung, June 7, 2014.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.