The Friday E-Pistle (June 5, 2015)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Deacon Alberto Carbajal Madera, parochial vicar at St. Louis King of France Parish in Austin, effective June 29, 2015.
- Deacon Darrell Kostiha, parochial vicar at St. Joseph Parish in Bryan, effective June 29, 2015.
- Deacon Hai Dong Nguyen, parochial vicar at St. Mary Cathedral in Austin, effective June 29, 2015.
- Deacon Sang Ky Quan, parochial vicar at St. Helen Parish in Georgetown, effective June 29, 2015.
- Deacon Thomas Reitmeyer, parochial vicar at St. Albert the Great Parish in Austin, effective June 29, 2015.
- Deacon Francisco Rodriguez III, parochial vicar St. William Parish in Round Rock, effective June 29, 2015.
- Rev. Cesar Guzman, parochial vicar at St. Joseph Parish in Killeen, effective June 29, 2015.
- Rev. Alirio Fernandez, parochial vicar at Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in Temple, effective June 29, 2015.
- Rev. Vincent Romuald, SRC, parochial vicar at St. Mary of the Assumption Parish in West, effective June 29, 2015.
- Rev. Christian Sanchez, LC, parochial vicar at Santa Cruz Parish in Buda, effective June 29, 2015.
- Rev. Ryan Higdon, parochial vicar at St. Mary Catholic Center in College Station, effective June 29, 2015.
- Rev. Uche Andeh, parochial vicar at St. Margaret Mary Parish in Cedar Park, effective June 29, 2015.
- Rev. Tim Nolt, parochial vicar at St. William Parish in Round Rock, effective June 29, 2015.
- Rev. David Trahan, parochial vicar at St. Louis King of France Parish in Austin, effective June 29, 2015.
- Rev. Alex Caudillo, parochial vicar at Sacred Heart Parish in Austin, effective June 29, 2015.
- Rev. Mario Castro, OFM Conv, parochial vicar at San Francisco Javier Parish in Austin and San Juan Diego Mission in Stony Point, effective June 29, 2015.
- Priest of Third Order Regular Franciscans (TOR), parochial vicar at Dolores Parish in Austin, effective June 29, 2015.
- Priest of Third Order Regular Franciscans (TOR), parochial vicar at St. Francis on the Brazos Parish in Waco, effective June 29, 2015.
- Priest of Third Order Regular Franciscans (TOR), parochial vicar at Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in Austin, effective June 29, 2015.
- Rev. Richard Sparks, CSP, parochial vicar at St. Austin Parish in Austin, effective July 1, 2015.
Please consider using the following meditation for the 12th Sunday in Ordinary Time (June 21):
- Astonished by Jesus’ power over the elements, the apostles begin to believe that he is the Messiah. We are no strangers to the forces and destruction of the elements. Have you offered prayers or donations to those affected by the Memorial Day flood and tornadoes?
- Asombrados por el poder de Jesus sobre los elementos, los apóstoles comienzan a creer que Jesús es el Mesías. Nosotros no desconocemos la fuerza y destrucción de los elementos ¿Ha ofrecido oraciones o donaciones por aquellos afectados por las inundaciones de Memorial Day y por los tornados?
Stewardship and Development Office
So far 87 parishes have been converted to PDS ChurchOffice. All parishes will be contacted by a diocesan database team member prior to their conversion date with information to prepare for the conversion. The parish will have two weeks to review their data after their conversion. Please see the website at http://www.austindiocese.org/pds for the schedule as well as training sessions. We are also beginning the data synchronization process from the parishes to the diocese. The upcoming conversions this week are St. Austin in Austin, St. John Neumann in Austin, St. William in Round Rock and the reconversion of St. Elizabeth in Pflugerville. Our date for project completion is on target for the end of July.
Meeting for matachines, concheros
- San José Parish in Austin is hosting a meeting on June 27 at 10 a.m. for the leaders of all matachines, concheros or Aztec dancers who would like to participate in the annual diocesan celebration of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which is scheduled for Dec. 5. The meeting will be in the parish chapel. For more information, call Felix Barrientos at (512) 436-4919.
- En la Parroquia de San José en Austin se llevará a cabo una reunión, el día 27 de junio a las 10 a.m. para todos los líderes de los matachines, concheros o danzantes aztecas que quisieran participar en la celebración anual diocesana de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, la cual está programada para el día 5 de diciembre. La reunión será en la capilla parroquial. Para mayor información, llame a Félix Barrientos al (512) 436-4919
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
- Tear Down the Walls, a day of reflection, will be held June 20 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Brian Egan will lead participants through this day of discerning what separates them from Christ and how to break down the walls. The cost is $35, which includes lunch. For more information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or email@example.com.
- Starting Anew, a weekend retreat, will be held July 17-19 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Men and women who have gone through divorce and seek healing and support are invited to attend this retreat. The cost is $150, which includes a shared room and meals. For more information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mary and the Saints, a day of reflection, will be held July 29 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Lynda Villasana will present the day, share her own stories, insights and experiences of Mary and the saints. The day will also include the chance to share your own experiences, quiet time, Mass and lunch. The cost is $35. For more information or to register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or email@example.com.
Evangelization and Catechesis Office
Summer courses open to all adults
- The diocesan Office of Evangelization and Catechesis is offering a variety of courses to serve the needs of Catholic school religious educators and parish catechists in the Diocese of Austin. This year the summer courses are also open to any adult wishing to deepen their Catholic faith and their understanding of topics such as the church’s social teachings, the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA), styles and theories of adult learning, Christian leadership and more. The five Basic Teachings courses, which cover the U.S. Catholic Catechism for Adults, provide a helpful foundation for persons involved in all types of parish ministry, including CRHP and ACTS retreat presenters and teams. All courses (English and Spanish) are held at the diocesan Pastoral Center in Austin and feature instruction by experienced trainers. The courses also include printed materials and books for students. See the course schedule at www.austindiocese.org/fcc2015 for more information and to register.
- Comenzando en junio, la Oficina diocesana de Evangelización y Catequesis estará ofreciendo una variedad de cursos para servir a las necesidades de educadores religiosos de escuelas Católicas y de catequistas parroquiales de la Diócesis de Austin. Este año los cursos de verano están también abiertos a cualquier adulto deseando profundizar en su fe Católica y en su entendimiento de tópicos tales como las enseñanzas sociales de la iglesia, el Rito de la Iniciación Cristiana para Adultos (RCIA por sus siglas en inglés), estilos y teorías del aprendizaje adulto, liderazgo Cristiano y más. Los cursos sobre las Cinco Enseñanzas Básicas, las cuales cubren el Catecismo Católico para Adultos de Estados Unidos, proveen una base útil para personas involucradas en todo tipo de ministerio parro-quial, incluidos los presentadores y equipos de CRHP y ACTS. Todos los cursos (en inglés y español) se llevan a cabo en el Centro Pastoral en Austin y son enseñados por entrenadores experimentados. Los cursos también incluyen materiales impresos y libros para estudiantes. Vea el calendario de cursos abajo y vaya a la página en internet para mayor información y para re-gistrarse: www.austindiocese.org/sfcc2015.
Discernment retreat for young men
Quo Vadis (Latin for “Where are you going?”) will be held from June 27 at 10 a.m. to June 28 at 4 p.m. at St. Thomas More Parish in Austin. This two-day retreat is designed to help young men in high school grow spiritually and allow them to think and pray about what God might be asking them to become. The retreat is for incoming freshmen to incoming seniors. Participants will have the opportunity to explore the themes of prayer, virtue, leadership and discernment. The retreat includes Mass, adoration, time for fun and recreation and the opportunity to get to know other young men pursuing holiness. The retreat is staffed by seminarians preparing for the priesthood and is co-sponsored by the Diocese of Austin Vocation Office and the St. Thomas More Parish Vocation Committee. The cost is $15. For more information, visit www.austinvocations.com or call the Vocation Office at (512) 949-2430.
Catholic Schools Office
The Office of Catholic Schools announces that Parker School Uniforms is giving away two $1,000 tuition scholarships to any Catholic school in the Diocese of Austin. Online contest runs through June 30. For information or to enter, please visit www.csdatx.org.
Pope Francis’ prayer intentions
Please consider Pope Francis’ prayer intentions for the month of June:
- That immigrants and refugees may find welcome and respect in the countries to which they come …
- Para que los inmigrantes y los refugiados encuentren acogida y respeto en los países a donde llegan …
- That the personal encounter with Jesus may arouse in many young people the desire to offer their own lives in priesthood or consecrated life …
- Para que el encuentro personal con Jesús suscite en muchos jóvenes el deseo de ofrecerle la propia vida en el sacerdocio o en la vida consagrada …
Bishop Vasquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 12th Sunday in Ordinary Time (June 21):
- For all fathers, living and deceased …
- Por todos los padres, vivos y difuntos...
Corpus Christi Procession
- Join the Corpus Christi Procession on June 7, starting with the 9:30 a.m. Mass at St. Mary Cathedral in downtown Austin. The English and Spanish Corpus Christi processions will march together this year. All Catholic groups can bring their banners and process from the Cathedral, to the State Capitol, to the University of Texas and then noon Mass at the University Catholic Center. Corpus Christi Procession Flier, Map
- Únanse a la Procesión de Corpus Christi del día 7 de junio, que comenzará a las 9:30 a.m. con la celebración de la Misa en la Catedral de St. Mary en el centro de Austin. Las procesiones en inglés y en español de Corpus Christi marcharán juntas este año. Todos los grupos Católicos pueden traer sus estandartes y caminar en procesión desde la Catedral hasta el Capitolio estatal, luego hacia la Universidad de Texas y después a Misa del medio día, 12 p.m. en el University Catholic Center (Centro Católico Universitario). Procesión de Corpus Christi Volante, Mapa
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.