The Friday E-Pistle (April 17, 2015)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
Rev. Christian Sanchez, LC, as parochial vicar of Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in Temple, effective April 7, 2015.
The Pastoral Plan is available online
The Pastoral Plan is available online. The Plan has three sections: Part I is the Overview; Part II is the Operational Plan; and Part III will be the Implementation Plan. We hosted parish and staff gatherings to explore, discuss and pray through the Pastoral Plan in order to obtain ideas and recommendations about its implementation. There will also be a dedicated survey for the priests to respond and offer suggestions for the plan’s implementation. The document has been translated into Spanish, Vietnamese and Korean. Please take a moment to read through this plan and be sure to share any of your thoughts, questions or concerns by emailing us.
Please consider using the following meditation for the Fifth Sunday of Easter (May 3):
- For the vine to produce good fruit, it must be pruned and trimmed. What needs to be pruned from your life in order to produce more good fruit?
- Para que la viña produzca buen fruto debe ser podada ¿Qué necesita ser podado de su vida para producir más y mejor fruto?
Stewardship and Development
We have converted 66 parishes to PDS. All parishes will be contacted by a diocesan database team member prior to their conversion date with information to prepare for the conversion. Three to four parishes are converted each week. The parish will have two weeks to review their data after their conversion. Please see the website at http://www.austindiocese.org/pds for the schedule as well as training sessions. The conversions this week are Holy Family in Lexington, St. Joseph in Dime Box, St. Mary in Pin Oak and St. John the Baptist in Waco.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
- Franciscan Father Albert Haase will lead a retreat for spiritual directors April 24-25 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. The weekend will include two presentations, two case studies, role playing, Mass and a Q&A session. The cost is $120 for a private room, $105 for a shared room, and $65 for commuters. To register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436.
- Beverly Collin will lead "Seasons of our Lives and What They Teach Us," based on the book by Sisters Joyce Rupp and Macrina Wiederkehr on April 27 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Collin is the assistant director of Cedarbrake. The retreat will explore the relationship between the seasons of the earth and the seasons of our lives to help us discover the stepping stones of our spiritual growth and the awareness of God’s presence in and around us. The cost is $35. To register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436.
Bishop Vásquez' prayer intention
Please consider using the following prayer intention for the Fifth Sunday of Easter (May 3):
- For our older parishioners as we begin Older Americans month, that they will always be recognized and honored for their wisdom, faithful witness and generous contributions to our parishes. Let us pray to the Lord…
- Por nuestros parroquianos adultos mayores mientras comenzamos el mes de los Adultos Mayores Americanos, para que siempre sean reconocidos y honrados por su visión, su testimonio fiel y sus generosas contribuciones a nuestras parroquias. Oremos al Señor....
Blessings and congratulations to …
The following priests on the anniversary of their ordination during the month of May: Rev. Sushil Ekka, IMS, May 4, 1996; Rev. Bruce Nieli, CSP, May 5, 1973; Very Rev. Kirby Garner, May 7, 1977; Rev. Don Loftin, May 7, 1994; Rev. Gonzalo Ferrer, May 9, 1981; Rev. John Calgaro, OFM Conv., May 11, 1974; Rev. Angelo Bertini, May 12, 1973; Rev. Jayaraju Polishetty, May 12, 2009; Rev. Charles Kullmann, CSP, May 13, 1978; Rev. Edward Nowak, CSP, May 13, 1989; Rev. Walter Dhanwar, IMS, May 13, 1991; Msgr. Joe Van Anh Nguyen, May 14, 1968; Rev. James E. Robertson, May 14, 1977; Rev. Greg Romanski, May 14, 1977; Rev. Vincent Romuald, SRC, May 15, 1999; Msgr. Isidore Rozycki, May 18, 1968; Rev. Albert Ruiz, May 19, 1973; Very Rev. Ruben Patino, CSP, May 19, 1979; Rev. Robert M. Cary, CSP, May 19, 1984; Rev. Ranjan Cletus, May 19, 1984; Rev. René Constanza, CSP, May 19, 2012; Rev. Fred Chalupa, May 20, 1973; Rev. Rakshaganathan Selvaraj, May 20, 1994; Rev. Jamie Baca, CSP, May 20, 2006; Rev. James Evans, May 21, 1994; Rev. Edward C. Koharchik, May 21, 2005; Msgr. Louis Pavlicek, May 22, 1971; Rev. Everett Trebtoske, May 23, 1959; Msgr. Boli Zientek, May 23, 1959; Rev. Thomas Chamberlain, May 23, 1970; Rev. David Williams, JD, JCL, May 23, 1998; Msgr. Benedict Zientek, May 24, 1958; Rev. Keith Koehl, May 24, 1997; Rev. Ray Dowling, May 25, 1961; Msgr. John Malinowski, May 25, 1963; Msgr. Louis Wozniak, May 26, 1951; Bishop John McCarthy, May 26, 1956; Msgr. Lonnie Urban, May 27, 1967; Rev. J.C. Cain, OMI, May 27, 1989; Rev. Hilario Guajardo, May 27, 1989; Msgr. Joseph Schmitt, May 28, 1955; Rev. Thomas Hanus, May 28, 1966; Rev. Edwin Kagoo, May 28, 1980; Bishop Daniel E. Garcia, May 28, 1988; Rev. Dariusz Ziebowicz, SDS, May 28, 1988; Msgr. Frank S. Miller, May 29, 1954; Rev. Justin Udomah, May 29, 1993; Rev. Adrian Chishimba, May 29, 2010; Rev. Charlie Garza, May 29, 2010; Rev. Mark Hamlet, May 29, 2010; Rev. Jungtack John Kim, May 29, 2010; Rev. Matthew Kinney, May 29, 2010; Rev. Wade Russell, May 29, 2010; Rev. Steve Sauser, May 29, 2010; Msgr. Elmer Holtman, May 30, 1964; Rev. Peter McCabe, May 30, 1970; Rev. John Boiko, May 30, 1987; Rev. Edward Karasek, May 30, 1987; Rev. Sang Yil Lee, May 30, 1992; Msgr. Victor Goertz, May 31, 1952; Rev. Leonard Leddy, May 31, 1959; Very Rev. Juan Carlos Lopez, May 31, 2003; Rev. Rafael Padilla Valdes, May 31, 2003; Rev. Bradford Hernandez, May 31, 2008; Rev. Nock Russell, May 31, 2008; and Very Rev. Daniel Liu, May 31, 2008.
Lecture and book signing
The French Legation Museum in Austin is hosting a free event on April 26 at 2 p.m. with talks by Patrick Foley and Jeffrey Kerr. Foley recently published his book “Missionary Bishop: Jean Odin in Galveston and New Orleans.” Odin was the first Bishop of Galveston and was later appointed Archbishop of New Orleans. He was also the owner of what is now the French Legation Museum. Kerr will speak about the world Odin lived and worked in while in Austin. Kerr’s latest book is “Seat of Empire: The Embattled Birth of Austin.” For more information, visit the French Legation Museum online.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the workshop schedule and Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account. Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, please click here.
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop should coordinate with their EIM site administrator. If the site administrator has arranged workshop details with a facilitator, then an email to the EIM office with those details is sufficient to request a workshop; otherwise workshop requests should be made by the site administrator using the Workshop Request Table. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.