The Friday E-Pistle (March 27, 2015)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Rev. John Kim, administrator of Christ the King Parish in Belton, to a three-year term as associate member of the Vocation Team, effective May 1.
- Rev. Uche Andeh, parochial vicar of St. William Parish in Round Rock, to a three-year term as associate member of the Vocation Team, effective May 1.
Thanks to outgoing members of the vocation team, Rev. Charlie Garza and Rev. Will Straten, as they complete their terms on the diocesan Vocation Team. Their generosity in contributing to the success of the team is very much appreciated.
The E-Pistle will not be published on April 3, which is Good Friday. The next E-Pistle will be published on April 10.
All diocesan offices will close on April 2 (Holy Thursday) at noon and reopen on Tuesday, April 7 in observance of the Triduum and Easter.
The new Pastoral Plan invites the people and faith communities of Central Texas to an Encounter that Leads to Transformation. It challenges us to continue on the path of discipleship, to help people deepen their faith in Christ and calls for all leaders in ministry to work collaboratively. Parish gatherings have been scheduled to review the new Plan and offer participants a chance to share ideas about its implementation. All sessions are offered in English and Spanish and held from 7 to 9 p.m. as follows:
- Monday, April 13: St. John the Evangelist Parish in Marble Falls
- Thursday, April 16: St. John the Evangelist Parish in San Marcos
- Thursday, April 23: St. Louis Catholic School in Waco
To have enough handouts and refreshments, please register, if you plan to attend. People may register individually or as a group.
The Mass of Chrism will take place on March 31 at 10:30 a.m. at St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Austin. For questions, please contact Jorge Nuñez at (512) 949-2429.
Please consider using the following meditation for the Second Sunday of Easter (April 12):
- Thomas needed “to see” in order to believe. This week try to pray and meditate on the lines of our Creed, “I believe in one God …maker of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible.”
- Tomás necesitaba "ver" para creer. Esta semana trate de orar y meditar sobre las frases de nuestro Credo, "Creo en un solo Dios...creador del cielo y de la tierra, de todo lo visible e invisible".
Please consider using the following meditation for the Third Sunday of Easter (April 19):
- Jesus ate fish before the disciples to prove that he had risen not only in spirit but in body. Meals are the perfect time for families to gather for prayer. Pray with Does your family before and after each.
- Jesús comió pescado frente a los discípulos para probar que había resucitado no sólo en espíritu, sino también en cuerpo. Las comidas son el momento perfecto para que las familias se reúnan a orar. Ore con su familia antes y después de cada una.
Fine Arts Council
The Diocesan Fine Arts Council will host the opening reception of the Religious Art Gallery at the diocesan Pastoral Center April 8 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. All are invited to view and discuss the art with the artists in attendance. There will be light appetizers and refreshments served. Previous exhibits can always be viewed online at www.austindfac.org. Religious artists who would like to participate in future exhibits should contact Craig Kanewske.
Heart of Mary discernment retreat
All women, ages 18-45, are invited to encounter the beauty of a vocation and the possibility of this call in their own lives, April 24-26, at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. The retreat will be led by the Consecrated Sisters of the Apostles of the Interior Life (AVI). There will be talks and time for prayer as well as “one-on-one” conversations with the sisters while experiencing community life with other young women discerning the will of God. For more information, contact the Vocation Office at (512) 949-2430. Cost is $35. Register online by April 20 at austinvocations.com.
Pro-Life Activities and Chaste Living
Annunciation Maternity Home banquet
Registration is open for the annual Annunciation Maternity Home Banquet on May 7 at St. Helen Parish in Georgetown. Registration and Silent Auction begin at 6 p.m. Live auction, dinner, and program begin at 7 p.m. Online registration and more information can be found at www.thematernityhome.org or (512) 864-7755.
Young Adult Ministry
Theology on Tap
The next Theology on Tap is April 8 at Santa Rita Cantina (5900 W. Slaughter Ln. in Austin). Jeremy Rodriguez will present on the everlasting love of God. He will open the evening at 6 p.m. by leading music and his presentation will begin at 7 p.m.
The Spring 2015 Diocesan Adult Confirmation will take place on May 16 at 10:30 a.m. at St. Margaret Mary Parish in Cedar Park. To register your candidates please visit www.austindiocese.org/dac15. The deadline for registration is May 5.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
- "New Beginnings," a weekday retreat, will be held April 19-21 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Everyone is invited to reflect on the Resurrection of Christ and the new beginnings we are offered through the life, death and resurrection of Our Lord. The cost is $195 for private rooms, $160 for shared rooms, and $85 for commuters. To register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436.
- Franciscan Father Albert Haase will lead a retreat for spiritual directors April 24-25 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. The weekend will include two presentations, two case studies, role playing, Mass and a Q&A session. The cost is $120 for private rooms, $105 for shared rooms, and $65 for commuters. To register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436.
Stewardship and Development
We have converted 53 parishes to PDS ChurchOffice to date. All parishes will be contacted by a diocesan database team member prior to their conversion date with information to prepare for the conversion. The parish will have two weeks to review their data after their conversion. Please see the website at http://www.austindiocese.org/pds for the schedule as well as training sessions. The upcoming conversions this week are Holy Rosary in Frenstat, St. Mary in Caldwell, Our Mother of Sorrows in Burnet, Sts. Cyril and Methodius in Marak and St. Joseph in Cyclone.
Bishop Vasquez’ prayer intentions
Please consider using the following prayer intention for the Second Sunday of Easter (April 12):
- For an increase in faith and love in the True Presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist …
- Por un incremento en la fe y el amor en la Verdadera Presencia de Jesucristo en la Eucaristía...
Please consider using the following prayer intention for the Third Sunday of Easter (April 19):
- That like the disciples, our minds will be opened to the understanding of the Scriptures so that we may evangelize to those around us …
- Para que, como los discípulos, nuestras mentes sean abiertas al entendimiento de las Escrituras para que podamos evangelizar a aquellos a nuestro alrededor...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.