The Friday E-Pistle (Feb. 20, 2015)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Very Rev. Kirby Garner as Dean of the San Marcos Deanery, effective Feb. 18, 2015.
- Rev. Raymundo Chávez Vázquez as parochial vicar of Santa Cruz Parish in Buda, effective Feb. 6, 2015.
A message from Bishop-elect Garcia
Thank you for the many gestures and offers of congratulations and prayers as I prepare for my episcopal ordination as auxiliary bishop of Austin. I am sincerely grateful to our Holy Father, Pope Francis, for this appointment and I continue to look forward to serving the people of the Diocese of Austin.
Please consider using the following meditation for the Third Sunday of Lent (March 8):
- Jesus drove out the money changers and traders from the temple in order to cleanse it and to restore the fullness of its sacredness. What can you do or stop doing to show greater respect for the church grounds and all of its facilities?
- Jesús echó a los cambiadores de dinero y a los comerciantes del templo para limpiarlo y restaurar la totalidad de su santidad ¿Qué puede usted hacer o dejar de hacer para mostrar un respeto más grande por los espacios abiertos de la iglesia y sus instalaciones?
Pro-Life Activities and Chaste Living
Spanish NFP seminar for engaged couples
- Austin FertilityCare Center, providers of the Creighton method of natural family planning, will be holding a new class for Spanish-speaking engaged couples preparing for marriage. This class meets the NFP portion of marriage preparation. The program will be at the diocesan Pastoral Center in Austin on March 7 from 10 a.m. to noon. A certificate will be provided to the couple to present to their marriage preparation program. To register, Diana Arteaga at Austin FertilityCare Center at (512) 474-2757 or e-mail email@example.com. Cost is $35 per couple.
- El Centro FertilityCare de Austin que enseña el método Creighton, ofrecerá una clase nueva en español para parejas comprometidas que se están preparando para casarse en la Diócesis de Austin. Esta clase cumplirá con el requisito sobre la planificación natural de la familia (PNF) de la preparación matrimonial. La clase se llevará a cabo en el Centro Pastoral en Austin el día 7 de marzo de 10:00 a.m. al medio día (12:00 p.m.). Un certificado será otorgado a las parejas para que lo presenten a su programa de preparación para el matrimonio. Para registrarse, contacten a Diana Arteaga en el Centro FertilityCare de Austin, llamando al (512) 474-2757 o escribiendo a firstname.lastname@example.org. El Costo es de $35 por pareja.
THRiVE!: Adult Seminar Upcoming dates
THRiVE! Adult Seminars will take place on Feb. 27 in Waco (6:30-8 p.m.), March 6 in Bryan (7-8 p.m.) and March 8 in Austin (4-5:30 p.m.). Spanish interpretation will be available at these events. These free events will feature The Culture Project missionaries who are part of a movement of young people committed to building a Culture of Life by educating on pro-life and chastity messages. Parents, pastors and educators are welcome. Please RSVP for the event at www.thrivetexas.org or call (512) 949-2486.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
March 7: RCIA Retreat
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton presents a day of reflection for RCIA Candidates, Catechumens and sponsors on March 7. Tracy Rodenborn, RCIA director for Emmaus Parish in Lakeway and adjunct professor at Notre Dame, will lead this day. Cost is $20 and includes lunch. those interested in attending may call (254) 780-2436 or e-mail email@example.com to register.
March 13-15: Living the Beatitudes
A Lenten Retreat: Living the Beatitudes will be held March 13-15 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Sister of St. Joseph Carol Cimino will lead retreatants through the beatitudes. The cost is $195 for a private room, $160 for a shared room or $85 for commuters. Click here to register or contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436.
Bishop Vásquez' prayer intention
Please consider using the following prayer intention for the Third Sunday of Lent (March 8):
- For Bishop Daniel Garcia who was ordained as auxiliary bishop for the Diocese of Austin …
- Por el Obispo Daniel García que fue ordenado como obispo auxiliar de la Diócesis de Austin
Blessings and congratulations to …
The following priests on the anniversary of their ordination during the month of March: Rev. Joseph Thomas Varickamackal, March 3, 1977; Rev. Jesus Ferras, ISP, March 6, 2004; and Rev. Mario Castro Martinez, OFM Conv., March 10, 2001.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton has free pews to give to any parish willing to pick them up. The pews are in good condition and would work well in a small chapel. For more information, contact Beverly Collin at (254) 780-2436.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.