The Friday E-Pistle (Feb. 13, 2015)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Rev. Harry Dean Jr. as parochial vicar at Church of the Resurrection, Emmaus in Lakeway, effective Feb. 2, 2015.
A message from Bishop-elect Garcia
Mass of Episcopal Ordination
Thank you for your offers of congratulations and prayers as I prepare for my ordination as auxiliary bishop of Austin. I am sincerely grateful to our Holy Father, Pope Francis, for this appointment.
Please consider using the following meditation for the Second Sunday of Lent (March 1):
- Like the Transfiguration, Lent is a time of transformation for us. Why not use Lent as a time to turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel?
- Como la Transfiguración, la Cuaresma es un tiempo de transformación para nosotros ¿Por qué no usar la Cuaresma como un tiempo para alejarnos del pecado y ser fieles al Evangelio?
2015 Conferencia de Hombres Catolicos
- All Spanish-speaking men are invited to a free Catholic men’s conference featuring keynote speaker Jesse Romero. The conference is Feb. 19 at 6:30 p.m. at San José Parish in Austin.
- Todos los hombres hablantes de Español están invitados a una conferencia Católica para hombres gratuita que presentará como orador principal a Jesse Romero. La Conferencia se llevará a cabo el 19 de febrero a las 6:30 p.m. en la Parroquia de San José en Austin.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
March 13-15: Living the Beatitudes
A Lenten Retreat: Living the Beatitudes will be held March 13-15 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Sister of St. Joseph Carol Cimino will lead retreatants through the beatitudes. The cost is $195 for a private room, $160 for a shared room or $85 for commuters. To register, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or email@example.com.
Stewardship and Development
Stewardship conference in Chicago
Registration for the 2015 International Catholic Stewardship Council (ICSC) conference in Chicago is now open. The conference runs from Oct. 23-25 and provides opportunities to learn about Christian stewardship, share ideas and meet other parish stewardship leaders. Through Feb. 13, participants can register online for the discounted rate of $399. If mailing a registration, participants can receive the discounted registration rate through Feb. 28, but only by marking REGION X EARLY BIRD RATE on the registration. Registration is also available by calling (800) 352-3452.
Parish conversions to PDS began in September and will be ongoing through July 2015. All parishes will be contacted by a diocesan database team member prior to their conversion date with information to prepare for the conversion. Three parishes will be converted each week. The parish will have two weeks to review their data after their conversion. Please see the website at http://www.austindiocese.org/pds for the schedule as well as training sessions.
The upcoming conversions this week are: Santa Barbara Parish in Austin, Cristo Rey Parish in Austin, St. Mary of the Visitation Parish in Lockhart and Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in Temple.
All single, Catholic women (ages 16-45) are invited to Project Miriam to discover more about consecrated life at St. Mary Cathedral on Feb. 21 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The morning includes testimonials and prayer with religious sisters serving in the diocese, Mass and lunch with Bishop-elect Daniel E. Garcia.
Please go to austinvocations.com to register for this free event.
Family Life Office
Facilitator training for Prepare-Enrich
A Prepare-Enrich Facilitator Training will be held March 7 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the diocesan Pastoral Center in Austin. This training will prepare participants to give the Prepare-Enrich premarital inventory to couples preparing for marriage and to discuss the results in a manner that has been shown to effectively reduce later marital conflict. The Prepare-Enrich inventory has a specially designed version for Catholic couples and is available in both English and Spanish. For more information, contact Sarah Lockey in the Family Life Office at (512) 651-6150.
Pro-Life Activities and Chaste Living
Parents and students in grades seven through 12 are invited to a “THRiVE!” presentation on Feb. 22 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at Santa Cruz Catholic School in Austin. A dynamic group of young-adult speakers, well-formed in spirituality and catechesis, will present a message of chastity.
- 7-9th graders will hear a talk on “Human Dignity”
- 10-12th graders will hear a talk on “Sexual Integrity” (boys & girls will separate after gathering)
- There will be a separate talk for parents
Please consider coming! This is an opportunity to celebrate the dignity of the human person. For more information you may visit the THRiVE website.
Bishop Vásquez' prayer intention
Please consider using the following prayer intention for the Second Sunday of Lent (March 1):
- For all those preparing to enter into the church during the Easter Vigil …
- Por todos aquellos que se encuentran preparándose para unirse a la Iglesia durante la Vigilia de Pascua...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.