The Friday E-Pistle (Nov. 21, 2014)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Deacon John Kerrigan assigned to Santa Cruz Parish in Buda, effective Nov. 23, 2014.
- Deacon Steven Pent assigned to St. William Parish in Round Rock, effective Nov. 24, 2014.
- Deacon Mike Gesch assigned to St. Thomas More Parish in Austin, effective Nov. 26, 2014.
Wishing your family and loved ones a blessed and safe Thanksgiving!
- All diocesan offices will be closed Nov. 27-28 in observance of Thanksgiving. Offices will reopen on Monday, Dec. 1.
- All diocesan offices will be closed on Dec. 3 for a diocesan Staff Day of Prayer. Offices will reopen on Thursday, Dec. 4.
The Friday E-Pistle will not be published on Nov. 28. The next edition of the E-Pistle will be published on Dec. 5.
The next diocesan Adult Confirmation Mass will be celebrated on Dec. 13 at 10:30 a.m. at San José Parish in Austin. Confirmandi should be ages 7 and older who are either catechized or uncatechized baptized Catholics. The deadline for registration is Nov. 28.
Please consider using the following meditation for the Second Sunday of Advent (Dec. 7):
- Today’s Gospel tells the story of Jesus’ baptism. From pictures and stories what do you know about your own baptism? Find the date of your baptism and mark it on your calendar to celebrate in the coming year.
- El Evangelio de hoy nos cuenta la historia del bautismo de Jesús. Por fotos e historias ¿Qué sabe usted de su propio bautismo? Encuentre la fecha de su bautismo y márquela en su calendario para celebrarla el próximo año.
Please consider using the following meditation for the Third Sunday of Advent (Dec. 14):
- In today’s Gospel the people press John the Baptist for an answer. “Who are you? … Are you the Prophet?” John answers that he is not but that the Messiah was there and people did not recognize him. What outward signs or actions show others clearly that you follow Jesus, the Messiah?
- En el Evangelio de hoy, la gente presiona a Juan el Bautista para que responda a la pregunta "¿Quién eres tú? ¿Eres el Profeta?" Juan contesta que él no lo es pero que el Mesías estaba ahí y la gente no lo reconocía ¿Qué señales externas o acciones suyas muestran a otros claramente que usted sigue a Jesús, el Mesías?
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
Nov. 22: Evangelization in the Spirit of Pope Francis with Father Bruce Nieli
Reflect on Pope Francis' encyclical, "Joy of the Gospel" and how we are called to spread the "Good News" to others through our words and actions during this retreat led by Paulist Father Bruce Nieli on Nov. 22. Cost is $35 and includes lunch. To register, call (254) 780-2436 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dec. 5-7: Advent Silent Retreat
Take some much needed time from the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season to prepare your heart for the coming of our Savior. Spiritual Direction will be available. Cost is $165 per person and includes a private room, meals and linens. To register, call (254) 780-2436 or e-mail email@example.com.
Dec. 9: Annual Advent Dinner with Msgr. Louis Pavlicek
The annual Advent Dinner will be held on Dec. 9. We will begin at 6:30 p.m. with wine and cheese, followed by dinner and a presentation. Msgr. Louis Pavlicek will be the guest speaker. The cost is $25. To register, call (254) 780-2436 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stewardship and Development
Twenty-one parishes were converted to PDS ChurchOffice in the month of November. The conversions are going well, and we are very grateful to the parish staff members who have converted thus far. After much consideration, we have decided not to begin any conversions during the month of December. This decision was made based on valuable information received from the parishes. The month of December is very busy with Advent and Christmas preparations as well as processing year-end donations and tax statements, etc.; therefore, all remaining conversions to PDS have been moved back by one month. An updated conversion schedule will be posted at http://www.austindiocese.org/pds. We will still have December training for PDS ChurchOffice as well as the auxiliary modules. You can register online for these sessions.
Diocesan Catholic Youth Conference
The Diocesan Catholic Youth Conference (DCYC) will take place at the Waco Convention Center Jan. 16-18. At DCYC, participants will experience keynote speakers Paul Kim and Doug Tooke, sacraments, music, prayer, workshops, entertainment and more, all woven together under this year's theme of "Behold." Registration is open and participants may register or find out more information through their parish youth minister. Don't miss out on this annual opportunity for teens to encounter Christ in a fun, unique way.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the Second Sunday of Advent (Dec. 7):
- For all those who experience anxiety or difficulty during Advent or the Christmas season …
- Por todos aquellos que experimentan ansiedad o dificultad durante la temporada de Adviento y Navidad...
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the Third Sunday of Advent (Dec. 14):
- That this time of preparation for Christmas be a time of solidarity for all Christians …
- Que este tiempo de preparación para la Navidad sea un tiempo de solidaridad para todos los Cristianos...
Blessings and congratulations to …
The following priests on the anniversary of their ordination during the month of December: Rev. Abraham Puentes Mejia, Dec. 2, 1994; Rev. Jairo Lopez, Dec. 4, 1994; Rev. Javier Toscano, Dec. 10, 2006; Rev. José Luis Comparán, Dec. 13, 2003; Rev. Marcelo Aravena ISP, Dec. 14, 1985; Msgr. Tom Frank, Dec. 18, 1970; Very Rev. Richard O'Rourke MSC, Dec. 19, 1965; Rev. Walter Carr, Dec. 19, 1992; Rev. Melvin Dornak, Dec. 19, 1992; Rev. George C. George, Dec. 20, 1986; Rev. Robert Kincl JCL, Dec. 21, 1967; Rev. Joy Joseph Adimakkeel, Dec. 23, 1980; Rev. George Thirumangalam CMI, Dec. 28, 1976 and Rev. Pius Thekkevayalil Mathew, Dec. 31, 1990.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.