The Friday E-Pistle (Nov. 7, 2014)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
The next diocesan Adult Confirmation Mass will be celebrated on Dec. 13 at 10:30 a.m. at San José Parish in Austin. Confirmandi should be ages 7 and older who are either catechized or uncatechized baptized Catholics. The deadline for registration is Nov. 28.
Please consider using the following meditation for the feast of Christ the King (Nov. 23):
- This reading from Matthew gives us a to do list on how to care for the poor. How do you care for the poor? Is there more you can do?
- Esta lectura del Evangelio de San Mateo nos da una lista de cosas por hacer para cuidar de los pobres ¿Cómo cuida usted de los pobres? ¿Existe algo más que usted pueda hacer?
Stewardship and Development Office
Catholic Services Appeal
CSA follow-up weekend
Follow-up weekend for the Catholic Services Appeal is Nov. 15-16. Please continue to encourage your parishioners to give generously to this year’s appeal. Bulletin announcements, pulpit announcements, prayers and more are available online in English and Spanish.
Parish conversions to PDS began in September and will be ongoing through June 2015. All parishes will be contacted by a diocesan database team member prior to their conversion date with information to prepare for the conversion. Three parishes will be converted each week. The parish will have two weeks to review their data after their conversion. Please see the website at http://www.austindiocese.org/pds for the schedule as well as training sessions.
The upcoming conversions this week are: Sacred Heart Parish in Austin, St. John the Evangelist Parish in San Marcos and St. Mary Parish in Temple.
Social Concerns Office
Out of Exile conference
Out of Exile is a free conference co-sponsored by the Office of Social Concerns that focuses on ways our churches can better serve people with mental illness and their families. The conference is Nov. 13 at First Presbyterian Church (8002 Mesa Dr. in Austin). See the flier, for more information. Registration is through the Austin Presbyterian Seminary, which is another co-sponsor.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
- Cheryl "Max" Maxwell, the director of the Office of Worship of the Diocese of Austin and the Secretariat Director for Formation and Spirituality, will give “The Gift of Transition” retreat on Nov. 19 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Change is a natural part of life that can often be filled with uncertainty, anxiety and pain. This retreat will examine these times and offer the opportunity to re-evaluate our purpose through the eyes of faith. To register, call (254) 780-2436 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reflect on Pope Francis' encyclical, "Joy of the Gospel" and how we are called to spread the "Good News" to others through our words and actions during this retreat led by Paulist Father Bruce Nieli on Nov. 22. Cost is $35 and includes lunch. To register, call (254) 780-2436 or e-mail email@example.com.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the feast of Christ the King (Nov. 23):
- For the poor and those who serve them ...
- Por los pobres y quienes les sirven...
Nativity Fest to benefit Society of St. Vincent de Paul
Get the first glimpse of beautiful handmade, fairly-traded nativities and Christmas decorations from all over the world on Nov. 18 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Ten Thousand Villages of Austin (1317 S. Congress Ave). A portion of all sales will be donated to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul Diocesan Council of Austin. The evening will include refreshments and holiday cheer.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.