The Friday E-Pistle (Oct. 10, 1014)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
Pastoral Plan update
Our consultants are working on the third draft of the Pastoral Plan and reviewing the most recent recommendations made by the Steering Committee. The third draft will be reviewed by the Steering Committee at their November meeting. Members of the Core Team presented a summary of the draft plan to the priests at their October Convocation allowing them to review the priorities and goals. The priests also had an opportunity to identify elements of the implementation plan, which must be as successful as the development of the plan itself. Please continue to pray for the people who are working on the Pastoral Plan and refer to the Pastoral Plan page on our diocesan website for information about its progress.
World Priest Day
World Priest Day is a celebration and affirmation of the men who commit their lives to the Lord and the church through the sacrament of Holy Orders. It is an opportunity for Catholic parishioners to thank, affirm and share their love and support for our priests. This year the Austin-Central Texas Area Worldwide Marriage Encounter Community will honor our priests, along with deacons and seminarians, with a dinner on Oct. 22 at 6:30 p.m. at St. Thomas More Parish in Austin. Every priest, deacon and seminarian within the diocese is invited. Priests, deacons and their wives, and seminarians, should RSVP by Oct. 13 at no cost to Jose and Rachel Guzman at (512) 291-6338. All others, may purchase tickets online at $25 per person.
Parish information update
The requests for statistical information were mailed to all the parishes by the publisher of the Official Catholic Directory. If your parish has not submitted the revised forms, please submit as soon as possible with the current data. The information on these forms is used to update our listing in the Official Catholic Directory as well as our Annual Statistical Report to the Holy See. If you have any questions, please contact Edith Casso at (512) 949-2403.
Please consider using the following meditation for the 30th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Oct. 26):
- Jesus’ answers to questions about the greatest commandment are remarkably simple: love God and love your neighbor. This also makes a nice summary of the Ten Commandments. Are you following these commands of Jesus? Make an examination of conscience to help you find the answers.
- Las respuestas de Jesús a las preguntas sobre el mandamiento más grande son muy simples: ama a Dios y ama a tu prójimo. Esto también resume bien los Diez Mandamientos ¿Está usted siguiendo estos mandamientos de Jesús? Haga un examen de consciencia que le ayude a encontrar las respuestas.
Pro-Life Activities and Chaste Living Office
Annunciation Maternity Home Golf Tournament
The fourth annual Annunciation Maternity Home Charity Golf Tournament is Oct. 27 at Berry Creek Country Club in Georgetown. The tournament begins with a 1:30 p.m. shotgun start. Entry fees are $100 per player and sponsorships are available. For more information, visit www.thematernityhome.org.
Texas Vocation Discernment Retreat
The Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist will host their second annual Texas Vocation Discernment Retreat Oct. 25-26 at Eagle's Wings Retreat Center in Burnet. The retreat is open to women ages 14-32, and will include talks, Eucharistic Adoration, opportunities for Confession and more. The cost is $50 per person. More information and online registration can be found at www.sistersofmary.org/texas-discernment-retreat.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
- Cheryl "Max" Maxwell, the director of the Office of Worship of the Diocese of Austin and the Secretariat Director for Formation and Spirituality, will give “The Gift of Transition” retreat on Nov. 19 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Change is a natural part of life that can often be filled with uncertainty, anxiety and pain. This retreat will examine these times and offer the opportunity to re-evaluate our purpose through the eyes of faith. To register, call (254) 780-2436 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Religious Education and Formation Office
Mary: Mother, Teacher and Evangelizer
- The Office of Religious Education and Formation invites everyone to Mary: Mother, Teacher and Evangelizer. Enjoy a day of reflection with Kathy Coffey, author and national speaker, on Nov. 22 at Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in Austin. Cost is $10. Please register online before Nov. 17.
- La Oficina de Educación y Formación Religiosa los invita a Maria: Madre, Maestra y Evangelizadora. Disfrute de un día de reflexión con Martin López, Consultor para el Ministerio Hispano, el sábado, 8 de noviembre, en la Parroquia Católica de San José en Austin. El costo es de $10 por persona. Por favor, regístrese en línea antes del 4 de noviembre.
World Mission Celebration
The Office of Mission and Mission Education and the Diocesan Mission Council will host a World Mission Celebration on Oct. 18 from noon to 2:30 p.m. at St. Mary Cathedral in Austin. Missionary of Faith Father Benjamin Magnaye will celebrate Mass at 12:05 p.m. Following Mass, a reception and a missionary presentation by Father Magnaye will take place in Bishop’s Hall. Father Magnaye served as pastor at St. Mary Parish in Mexia for 14 years and is now pastor at Sacred Heart Parish in Waco. To ensure sufficient seating and refreshments, please RSVP online at or contact Christina Krueger at (512) 949-2407, for more information.
Family Life Office
The third annual Men’s Conference will be Feb. 21 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at St. William Parish in Round Rock. Keynote speakers include Jesse Romero and Charlie Aeschliman. Tickets are $39 and available for purchase at www.catholicarmorofgod.com. The event is sponsored by the Central Texas Fellowship of Catholic Men and The Knights of Columbus.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 30th Week in Ordinary Time (Oct. 26):
- For families in our parish that they will follow the example of the Holy Family in solidarity and love …
- Por las familias de nuestra parroquia, para que sigan el ejemplo de la Sagrada Familia en solidaridad y amor...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.