The Friday E-Pistle (Oct. 3, 2014)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
Pastoral plan update
The second draft of the Pastoral Plan was reviewed by the Steering Committee on Sept. 27. The committee affirmed the three strategic priorities and the goals for each priority. The day was devoted to a group process in which activities and indicators were assessed for each goal. Members spent the day in a lively discussion that resulted in recommendations that will be considered in preparing the third draft. Please continue to pray for the people who are working on the Pastoral Plan and refer to the Pastoral Plan page on our diocesan website for information about its progress.
Please consider using the following meditation for the 29th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Oct. 19):
- One of the messages of today’s Gospel is that we have a responsibility to participate in the civic life of our country. Faithful Catholics should pay their taxes, register and vote, serve on juries and perform other works of service for the community at large. Do you whole-heartedly participate in these activities? Pray for the wisdom and strength for you and others to do so.
- Uno de los mensajes del Evangelio de hoy es que tenemos la responsabilidad de participar en la vida cívica de nuestro país. Los Católicos fieles deben pagar sus impuestos, registrarse y votar, servir como jurado y realizar otros trabajos de servicio para la comunidad ¿Usted participa con entusiasmo en estas actividades? Ore por la sabiduría y la fuerza para que usted y otros participen.
Contemporary music event postponed
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the concert and music workshop by Jesse Manibusan, originally scheduled for Oct. 10-11 has been postponed. Parishes will be notified once new dates have been confirmed.
Posters to be distributed Oct. 23
The 2014-2015 Seminarian and Religious Vocations posters will be distributed at the annual Parish Staff Retreat, formerly known as Secretaries’ Day, at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center on Oct. 23. Parishes are encouraged to have a representative attend and pick up the posters as putting them in the mailing tubes crinkles them permanently. Please consider picking up posters for every religious education class, youth ministry room, altar server vesting area, and any other place where young people can see them.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
- A day of reflection on Our Lady of Guadalupe will be held Oct. 11 from 9 a.m. to noon at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Father Pedro Garcia, pastor of St. Elizabeth Parish in Pflugerville, will be the presenter. The cost is $15. To register, call (254) 780-2436 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Father Barry Cuba of St. Mary's Catholic Center in College Station will discuss the joys, stresses, and busyness of being a single parent on Oct. 18. Father Barry, who was raised by a single parent, will share ways to strengthen your own spirituality. Cost is $35 and includes lunch. To register, call (254) 780-2436 or e-mail email@example.com.
Pro-Life Activities and Chaste Living
Gabriel Project Angels training
Gabriel Project Angels are volunteers who work with those in need of emotional and spiritual support due to an unplanned pregnancy. There is a need for angels across the diocese. The next Gabriel Project training class will be held at Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in Austin on Oct. 11 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information click here or contact Mary Helen Russell at (512) 949-2488.
Pro-Life T-Shirt Contest
Submit your design for the Texas Catholic Pro-Life Day T-shirt Design Contest. The winner will see hundreds wearing their design as they attend a day full of pro-life activities including a prayer vigil, living rosary, Mass, march, rally and a Party for Life. Design must include the following text: Texas Catholic Pro-Life Day, centraltexasprolife.org and the date of the event, Jan. 24, 2015. Submit your design for the Texas Catholic Pro-Life Day T-shirt by Dec. 1 to Yvonne Saldaña. The winner, selected by our event committee, will receive five free T-shirts.
Family Life Office
Together In God's Love Four-Part Marriage Preparation Class
Together In God's Love, a marriage preparation class, will begin Nov. 4 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the diocesan Pastoral Center in Austin. Subsequent classes will be held on Nov. 11, Nov. 18 and Dec. 2. Couples preparing for marriage are encouraged to register as soon as possible, as these classes fill quickly. The classes include talks on faith, communication, sexuality and stewardship in the context of Catholic marriage. Please visit the Family Life webpage to register or contact Sara Lockey at (512) 651-6150.
Pope Francis’ prayer intentions
Please consider Pope Francis’ prayer intentions for the month of October:
- That the Lord may grant peace to those parts of the world most battered by war and violence.
- Para que el Señor conceda paz a las regiones del mundo más afectadas por la guerra y la violencia.
- That World Mission Day may rekindle in every believer zeal for carrying the Gospel into all the world.
- Para que el Día Mundial de las Misiones despierte en cada cristiano la pasión y el celo por llevar el Evangelio a todo el mundo.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 29th Week in Ordinary Time (Oct. 19):
- For all those who work in local, county, state and federal government offices, that they serve all people with dignity and respect and that their work benefit the common good of all …
- Por aquellos que trabajan en oficinas de gobierno locales, del condado, estatales y federales, para que sirvan a todas las personas con dignidad y respeto y para que su trabajo beneficie el bienestar de todos...
Blessings and congratulations to …
Marie and Matteo Cehovin on the birth of Karolina Maria Cehovin who was born Sept. 19. Marie is the director of the Office of Pro-Life Activities and Chaste Living for the Diocese of Austin. Mother and baby are well.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.