The Friday E-Pistle (Aug. 8, 2014)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Deacon Joe Arellano has been granted retirement status as of Aug. 8, 2014.
Sign ordinance victory
Please read this letter regarding a recent court decision that affected pregnancy resource centers in the city of Austin. Although this was a local ordinance, it is a great victory worthy of sharing with all the faithful in the diocese. Please join me in praying for the continued protection of all human life, especially the unborn.
Confirmation Scheduling for 2015 – Deadline Approaching
More than 60 parishes have responded to my communication of July 9 regarding scheduling a Confirmation date for 2015. If you plan to have Confirmation in 2015 and have not submitted a request, please do so as soon as possible. Please note that the remaining dates available on my schedule for 2015 are indicated with the word “available.” The deadline to submit a request is Aug. 15 so that we can mail a final schedule to the parishes by early September. Thank you for your cooperation.
Holy Day of Obligation, Office closed
Friday, Aug. 15, is the feast of the Assumption of Mary and it is a holy day of obligation. All diocesan offices will be closed in observance of the feast on Aug. 15. In addition, the E-Pistle will not be published on Aug. 15. The next edition will be published on Aug. 22.
Please consider using the following meditation for the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time (Aug. 24):
- Jesus says Peter is the rock on which the church will be founded. Pope Francis is Peter’s successor. Take some time this week to reflect on something you have seen Pope Francis do. How has it touched your life? How can you follow his example?
- Jesús dice que Pedro es la piedra sobre la que edificará su iglesia. El Papa Francisco es el sucesor de Pedro. Tómese un tiempo esta semana para reflexionar sobre algo que haya visto hacer al Papa Francisco ¿Cómo ha tocado su vida? ¿Cómo puede usted seguir su ejemplo?
Please consider using the following meditation for the 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time (Aug. 31):
- Jesus says we must deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow him. What in your life must you deny yourself or lay down at Jesus’ feet in order to follow him completely?
- Jesús dice que debemos negarnos a nosotros mismos, tomar nuestra cruz y seguirlo ¿Qué en su vida usted debe negarse a sí mismo o poner a los pies de Jesús para poder seguirlo a Él completamente?
Office for Religious
All religious orders and religious communities of women and men serving in the Diocese of Austin are invited to a Mass with Bishop Joe Vásquez on Aug. 23 at St. Mary Cathedral in Austin. The Mass will begin at 9 a.m., with coffee and donuts immediately following in Bishop’s Hall. Please RSVP by Aug. 14 to Janice Ingram at (512) 949-2401.
Catholic Charities of Central Texas
6th annual Angels of Hope Golf Tournament
The sixth annual Angels of Hope Golf Tournament to benefit Catholic Charities of Central Texas in the Brazos Valley is Sept. 19 at the Phillips Event Center at Briarcrest Golf Course in Bryan. Visit www.ccctx.org/golf for more information about registration and sponsorship/underwriting opportunities or call (979) 822-9340.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
Feast of the Assumption: Aug. 15
Celebrate the Assumption of Mary at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. On this holy day of obligation, we will look at the life of Mary and how she was faithful to God’s will, living each day with confidence in God’s mercy and love. Mary’s pattern of obedience and holiness is what we strive to imitate as Mary indeed imitated her Son. Mass, reflections and quiet time will be part of this day retreat led by Brian Egan, director at Cedarbrake. Cost is $35 and includes lunch. For more information or to register, call (254) 780-2436 or e-mail email@example.com.
Living Daily with an Attitude of Gratitude: Sept. 10
Father Angelo Bertini and Msgr. Elmer Holtman share what it means to live in gratitude. How do we develop and live with an attitude sharing joyfully all the gifts that we have received? The day will end with a Mass of Thanksgiving. Cost is $35 and includes lunch. Click here to register.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time (Aug. 24):
- For Pope Francis and all bishops that they may model themselves after Peter and the Holy Apostles as leaders of the church …
- Por el Papa Francisco y todos los obispos, para que se modelen a sí mismos en la imitación de Pedro y de los Santos Apóstoles como líderes de la iglesia...
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time (Aug. 31):
- For all faculty, teachers and students as they begin a new school year …
- Por todos el personal educativo, maestros y estudiantes mientras comienzan un nuevo año escolar...
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in Temple is hosting two free information sessions by the Equal Justice Center for undocumented people that may qualify for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program (DACA). Sessions are on Aug. 23 and Oct. 18 at 9 a.m. For more information, call (888) 670-6854.
La Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe en Temple está siendo la anfitriona de dos sesiones informativas gratuitas ofrecidas por el Equal Justice Center para personas indocumentadas que pudieran calificar para el Programa de Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). Las sesiones son el 23 de Agosto y el 18 de Octubre a las 9 a.m. Para mayor información, llame al (888) 670-6854.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.