The Friday E-Pistle (Aug. 1, 2014)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Rev. Wade Russell as parochial vicar of St. John the Evangelist Parish in San Marcos, effective July 26, 2014.
- Rev. Daniel Liu as Dean of the Waco Deanery, effective July 23, 2014.
Changing Mass times
Pastors are reminded that the Vicar General is to be consulted prior to making any changes to weekend Mass times.
Please consider using the following meditation for the 20th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Aug. 17):
- With nine words Jesus instantly cures the daughter of the persistent woman in today’s Gospel, “Let it be done for you as you wish.” Words, put together the right way, can be very powerful. Do you choose your words carefully, with sensitivity and love?
- Con nueve palabras Jesús cura instantáneamente a la hija de la persistente mujer del Evangelio de hoy, ""grande es tu fe; que te suceda como deseas". Las palabras puestas juntas de la manera correcta pueden ser muy poderosas ¿Escoge usted sus palabras con cuidado, con sensibilidad y amor?
Pro-Life Activities and Chaste Living
Prayer Vigil & Pro-Life Primer
All are invited to come to the Prayer Vigil & Pro-Life Primer on Aug. 4 at Republic Square Park (across from the federal courthouse) and the Texas Capitol. Participants are encouraged to wear blue. An abortion provider has filed a new lawsuit challenging the provision of HB2 that requires abortion facilities to meet safety standards and upgrade to the level of ambulatory surgical centers. The lawsuit is being tried in federal court on Aug. 4 at 9 a.m. so a prayer vigil will be held from 9 to 11 a.m. in Republic Square Park. There will be a break for lunch, on your own, from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. At 12:30 p.m., everyone is welcome to attend a Texas Pro-Life Primer at the Texas Capitol in Room E2.002.
Baby Bank Campaign
If you have not ordered your Baby Banks or are in need of additional banks, please contact Yvonne Saldaña at (512) 949-2486. Baby Bank boxes are $0.10 each. Boxes from previous Baby Bank campaigns may be used. Orders may also be faxed to (512) 949-2520. Orders are due by Aug. 25.
Living the Good News Conference: The Joy of the Gospel
The Secretariat of Peace and Justice will hold the Living the Good News Conference: The Joy of the Gospel on Sept. 27 at St. Dominic Savio Catholic High School in Austin. The conference will include topics from the offices of Hispanic Ministry, Black Catholics, Mission and Mission Evangelization, Social Justice, Criminal Justice and Pro-Life Activities and Chaste Living and Catholic Charities of Central Texas. The annual Pro-Life Committee Chair meeting will be held after the conference at 4 p.m. For more information, please contact Yvonne Saldaña at (512) 949-2486.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
Feast of the Assumption: Aug. 15
Celebrate the Assumption of Mary at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. On this holy day of obligation, we will look at the life of Mary and how she was faithful to God’s will, living each day with confidence in God’s mercy and love. Mary’s pattern of obedience and holiness is what we strive to imitate as Mary indeed imitated her Son. Mass, reflections and quiet time will be part of this day retreat led by Brian Egan, director at Cedarbrake. Cost is $35 and includes lunch. For more information or to register, call (254) 780-2436 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Living Daily with an Attitude of Gratitude: Sept. 10
Father Angelo Bertini and Msgr. Elmer Holtman share what it means to live in gratitude. How do we develop and live with an attitude sharing joyfully all the gifts that we have received? The day will end with a Mass of Thanksgiving. Cost is $35 and includes lunch. Click here to register.
Annual statewide Criminal Justice Ministry Conference
Father David Link will be the keynote speaker at the statewide Criminal Justice Ministry Conference Sept. 26-27 in Austin. Father Link is the former dean of the Notre Dame Law School and President of the University of Notre Dame Australia. The issues of re-entry of formerly incarcerated persons into communities and the employment of these returnees will be the major focus of the conference. The first day of the conference will be held at the diocesan Pastoral Center in Austin and the second day of the conference will be held at St. Dominic Savio Catholic High School in Austin. A Criminal Justice track and a Social Justice track will be conducted simultaneously. Registration is $75 and includes dinner Friday, coffee and pastries Saturday morning and lunch at noon. For more information, please contact Yvonne Saldaña at (512) 949-2486.
Pope Francis’ prayer intentions
Please consider Pope Francis’ prayer intentions for the month of August:
- That refugees, forced by violence to abandon their homes, may find a generous welcome and the protection of their rights …
- Para que los refugiados, obligados a abandonar sus casas por causa de la violencia, sean acogidos con generosidad y sean respetados en sus derechos.
- That Christians in Oceania may joyfully announce the faith to all the people of that region.
- Para que los cristianos en Oceanía anuncien con alegría la fe a todos los pueblos del continente.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 20th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Aug. 17):
- For those who suffer from mental illness and for those who care for them …
- Por aquellos que sufren de enfermedades mentales y aquellos que cuidan de ellos...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.