The Friday E-Pistle (May 23, 2014)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Rev. Alberto Borruel, pastor of San José Parish in Austin, effective July 1, 2014.
- Rev. Larry Covington, pastor at St. Theresa Parish in Austin, effective July 1, 2014.
- Rev. Edward Karasek, pastor at St. Mary of the Visitation in Lockhart, effective July 1, 2014.
- Rev. Brian McMaster, pastor at St. Helen Parish in Georgetown, effective July 1, 2014.
- Rev. James Misko, pastor of St. Louis Parish in Austin, effective July 1, 2014.
- Rev. Nock Russell, pastor at St. John the Baptist Parish in Fayetteville and St. Mary Mission in Ellinger, effective July 1, 2014.
- Rev. Paul Hudson, administrator of St. Mary, Church of the Assumption Parish in West, effective July 1, 2014.
- Rev. Jungtack “John” Kim, administrator of Christ the King Parish in Belton, effective July 1, 2014.
- Rev. Justin Nguyen, administrator of St. Mary Parish in Mexia, effective July 1, 2014.
- Rev. Uche Obikwelu, administrator of St. Ann Parish in Somerville and Blessed Virgin Mary Mission in Old Washington, effective July 1, 2014.
- Deacon Tim Dorsey has been incardinated into the Diocese of Austin, effective May 16, 2014. His assignment will continue at Holy Family Parish in Copperas Cove.
All diocesan offices will be closed on Monday, May 26 in observance of Memorial Day. Diocesan offices will reopen on Tuesday, May 27.
A prayer for Memorial Day
God of power and mercy, you destroy war and put down earthly pride. Banish violence from our midst and wipe away our tears, that we may all deserve to be called your sons and daughters. Keep in your mercy those men and women who have died in the cause of freedom and bring them safely into your kingdom of justice and peace. We ask you this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Prayer taken from Catholic Household Blessings & Prayers, Revised Edition
General intercessions for the Pastoral Plan
The diocese asks pastors to include the following prayer intentions for the Pastoral Plan at upcoming Masses:
- For the continued efforts to develop a new diocesan Pastoral Plan: May the Holy Spirit continue to guide our leadership (and diocese) to fulfill Christ’s mission …
- Oremos por el continuo esfuerzo para desarrollar un nuevo Plan Pastoral diocesano: Para que el Espíritu Santo guíe a nuestros líderes (y a la Diócesis) en el cumplimiento de la misión de Cristo …
- For our new diocesan Pastoral Plan: May its fruits sustain the poor, give hope to the sick, comfort the suffering, provide strength to the family, inspire us to action, welcome our distant brothers and sisters and in doing so, bring greater glory to you …
- Oremos por nuestro nuevo Plan Pastoral diocesano: Para que sus frutos sostengan a los pobres, den esperanza a los enfermos, consuelen a los que sufren, ayuden a fortalecer a la familia, nos inspiren a la acción, y den la bienvenida a nuestros hermanos y hermanas separados y, al hacerlo, sirvan para dar mayor gloria a Dios …
If you would like to receive updates about the plan, please sign up on the diocesan website for regular messages.
Please consider using the following meditation for Pentecost (June 8):
- Today we celebrate Jesus’ gift of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit comes upon us during the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. Pope Francis has asked us to celebrate our “baptism day” with great joy – like a birthday. Do you know the dates of your baptism and confirmation? Look them up and mark them on your calendar.
- Hoy celebramos el don de Jesús del Espíritu Santo. El Espíritu desciende sobre nosotros durante los sacramentos del bautismo y la confirmación. El Papa Francisco nos ha pedido que celebremos nuestro “día de bautizo” con gran alegría- como si fuera nuestro cumpleaños ¿Conoce las fechas de su bautismo y confirmación? Búsquelas y márquelas en su calendario.
Servus Dei retreat
Servus Dei is a three-day social justice adventure for adolescents between sixth and eighth grades. Servus Dei provides prayer experiences, engaging learning activities based on the life of Jesus, Catholic social teaching and it introduces adolescents to service as an integral part of Christian discipleship. The service involvement takes place at local agencies and centers that assist people in need. The retreat will take place June 19-21 and the cost is $85. On-time registration must be submitted by June 5, with late registration due by June 12. Youth may register through their parish youth ministry representative. For more information, visit here or e-mail Jennifer Kodysz or call (512) 949-2467.
Criminal Justice Ministry
The warden of the Travis County State Jail has asked the Catholic Church to provide volunteers to help staff the visitor center at the unit on Saturdays and Sundays. Responsibilities include greeting family members that have come to visit inmates. The volunteers would not enter the unit, but would be in the visitation facility, a building just in front of the unit. Visiting hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and volunteers can set their own hours. The jail is at 8101 FM 969 in Austin. Prospective volunteers can contact either Chaplain David Fuller at (512) 926-4482 or John Gilluly at (512) 949-2460.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
June 18: Back to Ordinary (Time) – Now What?
How can we grow in our Catholic faith during Ordinary Time, the longest season of the liturgical year? What are some steps we can take to deepen our spirituality? How can our faith be more at the center of our lives? These are a few of the questions Holy Cross Father Bill Wack, pastor at St Ignatius Martyr Parish in Austin, will tackle. This privileged time can be a type of “continuing education for Catholics.” Cost is $35 and includes lunch. Click here to register.
From Ashes to Easter
For parishes that have not submitted Ashes to Easter Lenten mission collections, please remind parishioners to return their boxes to the church or parish office so that all funds may be submitted to the diocesan Finance Office. Please remember that donations are accepted on line.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider using the following meditation for Pentecost (June 8):
- For those who will be traveling this summer, may they have safe travels and a safe return …
- Por aquellos que viajarán este verano, para que tengan un viaje seguro y regresen a salvo…
On the front page of the diocesan website at www.austindiocese.org there are three pictures. Place your mouse over the pictures to see additional menus and links to more information.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.