The Friday E-Pistle (May 9, 2014)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
Pastoral Plan update
The Pastoral Plan survey is officially closed. The final count for the surveys received is 3,612 English; 245 Spanish (there are also some who completed the survey in English and identified as Hispanic); 253 non-practicing Catholics; and 250 Vietnamese. This significant response will provide the analyzing team with a wealth of data that will be presented to the Steering Committee at their May 31 meeting. Thank you to everyone who completed a survey and encouraged others to do the same.
If you would like to receive updates about the plan, please sign up on the diocesan website for regular messages.
Please continue to pray for the Pastoral Plan during the coming days as the analyzing process begins.
Special Collection: May 24-25
On the weekend of May 24-25 all parishes in the Diocese of Austin are to take up a special collection for the Archdiocese for the Military Services. The following announcement should be read before all Masses that weekend:
- A special collection will be taken up in this Mass to support the Archdiocese for the Military Services. The Archdiocese provides the Catholic Church's full range of pastoral ministries and spiritual services to those in the U.S. Armed Forces. Please be generous in your support of this worthy cause.
- Una colecta especial se llevará a cabo en esta Misa para apoyar a la Arquidiócesis para los Servicios Militares. La Arquidiócesis para los Servicios Militares provee a aquellos en las Fuerzas Armadas de Estados Unidos de todos los servicios espirituales y ministerios pastorales. Por favor sea generoso en su apoyo a esta valiosa causa.
Please consider using the following meditation for the Sixth Sunday of Easter (May 25):
- Jesus reminds us to keep his commandments, which are to love God with our whole being and to love one another as he loved us; in addition, we are to also follow the Ten Commandments. Can you recall all Ten Commandments? Review them in Dt 5:6-7, 11-12, 16-21.
- Jesús nos recuerda que observemos sus mandamientos, los cuales son amar a Dios con todo nuestro ser y amar al prójimo como Él nos amó; además, debemos seguir los Diez Mandamientos ¿Se acuerda usted de todos los Diez Mandamientos? Repáselos en Dt 5:6-7, 11-12, 16-21.
Pro-Life Activities and Chaste Living
Austin Prayer Vigil
Prayer angels meet the third Saturday of the month for the Austin Prayer Vigil to show their respect for life. Everyone is invited to join the next Prayer Vigil on May 17 at 7 a.m. at St. Anthony Marie de Claret Parish in Kyle at 801 Burleson Street. Contact Paul Kroschewsky at (512) 799-3073 for more information.
Mother’s Day Carnations
Pre-ordered Mother’s Day carnations can be picked up today from the Pastoral Center from noon to 5 p.m. Check in with the receptionist upon arrival. An invoice will accompany the order. Contact Yvonne Saldaña at (512) 949-2486 for more information.
Help Line volunteers needed
The Pro-Life Help Line is available for women and men to access help from both Gabriel Project and Project Rachel. Volunteers are needed to answer incoming calls, which are forwarded to a volunteer’s phone line for a shift each week. Free training and materials are provided. If you are interested in this ministry, contact Briana Feiler at (512) 949-2488.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the Sixth Sunday of Easter (May 25):
- For those who lost their lives in military service to our country and for those who mourn for them …
- Por todos aquellos que perdieron sus vidas durante el servicio militar por nuestro país y por todos aquellos que están de luto por ellos.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.