The Friday E-Pistle (Jan. 24, 2014)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
Diocesan offices closed
Due to the weather, all diocesan offices will be closed today.
Pastoral Plan: Your input is needed
The Diocese of Austin is in the process of developing a new Pastoral Plan. The plan will guide the mission and direction of our diocese for the next five years. We need your input to better respond to the pastoral needs of the people in our diocese. The planning team is hosting more listening sessions in February so that we can collect your input. These listening sessions are open to everyone and the planning team hopes you can take part in this important process. Make certain your parish is represented at one of the sessions.
English Listening Sessions are:
- Feb. 5: 7-9 p.m., St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church in Austin
- Feb. 6: 7-9 p.m., St. Louis Catholic Church in Waco, Reicher campus at St. Joseph Hall
- Feb. 11: 7-9 p.m., Santa Cruz Catholic Church in Buda in the sanctuary
Spanish Listening Session are:
- Feb. 11: 7-9 p.m., Santa Cruz Catholic Church in Buda at Deane Hall
- Feb. 12: 7-9 p.m., Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Austin
World Day for Consecrated Life
The religious orders and communities of consecrated women and men serving in the Diocese of Austin will celebrate World Day for Consecrated Life on Feb. 1 at St. Mary Cathedral in Austin. The event begins with the celebration of the Eucharist at 10 a.m., followed by a luncheon in Bishop’s Hall. Jubilarians will be honored. Members of religious communities who have not already responded to the initial invitation, please respond by Jan. 27 to Janice Ingram at (512) 949-2401.Those who are celebrating a jubilee year in 2014 should inform Janice Ingram.
Moving and blessing of offices
The Family Counseling Offices currently located at the diocesan Pastoral Center will move into a Building B at 1625 Rutherford Lane in Austin. The new offices will be blessed by Bishop Vasquez on March 19 at 3 p.m. All are invited to attend.
Special Collection: Feb. 8-9
On the weekend of Feb. 8-9 all parishes in the Diocese of Austin are to take up a special collection for Catholic Higher Education. The following announcement should be read before all Masses:
- A special collection will be taken up in this Mass to support Campus Ministries in the Diocese of Austin. These include communities at the University of Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor University, Texas State University, Mary Hardin-Baylor and other college campuses. The goals of Catholic campus ministry are to build a faith community, bring the message of Christ to the academic world and prepare future leaders of society and our Church. Please be generous in your support of this most worthy cause.
- Una colecta especial será realizada durante esta Misa para apoyar Ministerios Universitarios en la Diócesis de Austin. Estos incluyen comunidades en la Universidad de Texas, Texas A&M, la Universidad de Baylor, Texas State University, Mary Hardin-Baylor y otros campus universitarios. Las metas del ministerio universitario Católico, son construir una comunidad de fe, llevar el mensaje de Cristo al mundo académico y preparar a futuros líderes de la sociedad y de nuestra Iglesia. Por favor sean generosos al apoyar esta valiosa causa.
Please consider using the following meditation for the Presentation of the Lord (Feb. 2):
- Mary and Joseph followed the religious law and customs in presenting Jesus at the temple. As parents, godparents, grandparents and guardians are we doing all we can to ensure that those in our care are following the precepts of the Church? (The precepts of the Church are attending Mass on Sundays and holy days, receiving the sacrament of Confession, receiving the Eucharist, fasting and abstaining from meat on the prescribed days and providing for the material needs of the Church.)
- María y José siguieron la ley religiosa y las costumbres de presentar a Jesús en el templo. Como padres, padrinos, abuelos y tutores ¿estamos haciendo todo lo que podemos para asegurarnos de que aquellos bajo nuestro cuidado están siguiendo los preceptos de la Iglesia? (Los preceptos de la Iglesia son atender Misa los domingos y días santos, recibir el sacramento de la Confesión, recibir la Eucaristía, ayunar y abstenerse de comer carne en los días prescritos y proveer para las necesidades materiales de la Iglesia).
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the Presentation of the Lord (Feb. 2):
- That our faith in God may be renewed in the simplicity of little children …
- Que nuestra fe en Dios sea renovada en la simplicidad de niños pequeños...
Mouse over the three main pictures to see menus related to those topics. To see a list of all diocesan offices, click on “Offices & Ministries” in the menu bar.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.