The Friday E-Pistle (Jan. 3, 2014)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Deacon Gary Perkins to St. Albert the Great Parish in Austin, effective Dec. 1, 2013.
- Deacon Roy Barkley has been granted retirement status, effective Jan. 1, 2014.
The liturgy and flu
The Diocese of Austin has published the following document, in English and Spanish, regarding the liturgy and flu. At this time, each pastor is to decide whether to suspend temporarily the distribution of the Blood of Christ at the Eucharist in his parish in order to prevent the spread of disease during the time of a flu outbreak.
Pastoral Plan: Input needed
The Diocese of Austin is beginning the process to develop a new Pastoral Plan, an important document that guides the mission and direction of our diocese for the next five years and responds to pastoral needs. To better understand those pastoral needs, the planning team is hosting a series of listening sessions throughout the diocese. These listening sessions are open to everyone, and the planning team hopes you can take part in this important process. The following listening sessions will be in English:
- Jan. 21, 7 to 9 p. m. St. Helen Catholic School in Georgetown
- Jan. 22, 7 to 9 p.m., St. Joseph Catholic School in Bryan
- Feb. 5, 7 to 9 p.m., St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Austin
- Feb. 6, 7 to 9 p.m., Reicher Catholic High School in Waco
Spanish-language listening sessions are being planned for February.
Please consider using the following question for the Baptism of the Lord (Jan. 12):
- God announces that he is “well pleased” with his Son. How often do we let our co-workers know when we are well pleased with their work?
- Dios anuncia que está complacido con su Hijo. ¿Qué tan seguido comunicamos a nuestros compañeros de trabajo que estamos complacidos con su desempeño?
Stewardship and Development Office
Catholic Services Appeal
Thank you for your continued support and generosity to the CSA. To date, we have received pledges from more than 17,300 families totaling more than $4.2 million.
Follow-up letters to all non-donors were mailed in early December. Additional follow-up letters are scheduled in January 2014.
To see the latest parish reports click here.
Pro-Life Activities and Chaste Living
Pro-Life Day T-Shirts on sale
On Jan. 25 Texans will stand together to show our unity in the belief of the sanctity of life. The Diocese of Austin will join in prayer beginning at 7 a.m. at San José Parish in Austin and continue the day with a prayer vigil, live rosary, Mass, march, rally and party for life. All are welcome to attend any part of the day and join in to show our mission to promote a Culture of Life. The official t-shirt for the day is now on sale.
Pope Francis’ prayer intentions
Please consider Pope Francis’ prayer intentions for the month of January:
- That all may promote authentic economic development that respects the dignity of all peoples …
- Que todos promuevan un auténtico desarrollo económico que respete la dignidad de toda la gente...
- That Christians of diverse denominations may walk toward the unity desired by Christ …
- Que los Cristianos de diversas denominaciones caminen hacia la unidad deseada por Cristo...
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intentions
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the Baptism of the Lord (Jan. 12):
- That our daily actions and words may be pleasing to God our Father …
- Que nuestras acciones y palabras diarias complazcan a Dios nuestro Padre...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM Office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.