The Friday E-Pistle (Oct. 25, 2013)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Deacon Jeffrey Olsenholler to St. Joseph Parish in Bryan, effective Oct. 23, 2013.
- Deacon George Lillard to St. Ferdinand Parish in Blanco and Good Shepherd Mission in Johnson City, effective Nov. 1, 2013.
All Saints Day
All diocesan offices will be closed on Friday, Nov. 1, in observance of All Saints Day, which is holy day of obligation. The Nov. 1 edition of the Friday E-Pistle will be published on Thursday, Oct. 31.
On Nov. 3, the 31st Sunday in Ordinary Time, daylight saving time will end at 2 a.m. and clocks should be adjusted backward by one hour.
Year of Faith
The Year of Faith began on Oct. 12, 2012, and is now five weeks from its closing on Nov. 24, the feast of Christ the King. In recent weeks, parish communities were invited to send stories and pictures of happenings during the Year of Faith, and they have been posted on the diocesan website. Thanks to all the parishes that submitted their stories and pictures. Parishes can still submit stories by using the online form. To contribute pictures, e-mail Becky Valdez.
The Year of Faith will close on Nov. 24, the feast of Christ the King. Parishes are invited to plan ahead for this closing and join Pope Francis in celebrating the many ways we have grown in our Catholic faith. Since Christ is King of all people, parishes are encouraged to celebrate their cultural diversity. Parishioners should be invited to renew their baptismal promises. Please note that since the Year of Faith banners were blessed by Bishop Vásquez, there is a proper way to dispose of them. Next week’s E-Pistle will offer ideas for the banners.
Please consider using the following question for the 31st Sunday in Ordinary Time (Nov. 3):
- Zacchaeus had only a moment’s notice that the Lord would be staying at his house. Is your house ready for Jesus to visit right now? Is it ready spiritually? Prayerfully consider what needs to change.
- Zaqueo tuvo solo un momento para darse cuenta de que el Señor se quedaría en su casa. ¿Está su hogar listo para que Jesús lo visite en este momento? ¿Está listo espiritualmente? Considere en oración qué necesita cambiar.
Stewardship and Development Office
Catholic Services Appeal
- October 26-27 is Awareness and Education Weekend for the Catholic Services Appeal. Parishes are asked to utilize bulletin announcements and inserts, pulpit announcements, campaign materials and prayers of the faithful to raise awareness about the CSA. Parishes may also show the campaign video, use lay witness speakers or offer a pastor’s talk about the CSA. Parishioners should be reminded to review the letter received from Bishop Vásquez.
- Commitment Weekend is Nov. 2-3. Bulletin announcements, pulpit announcements, prayers and more are available online in English and Spanish.
Special Collection: Archdiocese for the Military Services
This past week, your parish may have received materials promoting a collection for the Archdiocese for the Military Services. The USCCB approved this collection to be taken up every three years. While the Military Archdiocese recommended taking it up in November, the Diocese of Austin decided to take it up on May 25, 2014, on Memorial Day weekend. Please hold your materials until that time.
Canonical and Tribunal Services
Deadline for 2013 nullity cases
The deadline to submit 2013 nullity cases to the diocesan Tribunal is Nov. 22. Pastors and advocates should hold any cases that come in after that date until Jan. 2, 2014. For more information, see this letter from the Judicial Vicar.
St. Cecilia Sing
The Austin Chapter of the National Association of Pastoral Musicians, in collaboration with the Office of Worship, presents the annual St. Cecilia Sing on Nov. 9 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Austin. The topic for this year is Singing God's Song Book: Praying the Psalms Can Transform Us. The keynote speaker will be Dr. Manuel Cortez. All parish choir members, cantors, instrumentalists and music directors are invited. Early registration is $10 per person and includes lunch and a music packet. To register, complete this form and send it to NPMAustin@gmail.com. For more information, visit the NPM Austin Website.
Young Adult Ministry
Theology on Tap
Msgr. Michael Sis will discuss "Catholic Curiosities" at the next Theology on Tap on Nov. 6 at Casa Chapala. Music begins at 6 p.m. and the presentation begins at 7 p.m. For more information, contact Jennifer Kodysz at (512) 949-2467.
Nativity Fest 2013
The Austin Diocesan Council of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul will receive a portion of the all sales on Nov. 5 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Ten Thousand Villages (1317 S. Congress Ave) in Austin. Beautiful handmade, fairly traded nativities and Christmas decorations from all over the world will be on sale.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 31st Sunday in Ordinary Time (Nov. 3):
- That all those who are eligible to vote in Tuesday’s election will form their conscience and practice Faithful Citizenship …
- Que todos aquellos que son elegibles para votar en la elección del martes, formen sus consciencias y practiquen una ciudadanía fiel...
Blessings and congratulations to ...
Alison Tate, Director of the Office of Youth, Young Adult and Campus Ministry, and her husband Adam on the adoption of their son Albert Matthew Tate.
Website tip: Calendar
There is a calendar of diocesan and some parish events on the diocesan website. To make finding events easier, calendar items can be filtered to be shown by their sponsoring diocesan department. Parish events with mass appeal, such as festivals and jamaicas are also listed on this calendar. Parishes may submit calendar items to email@example.com.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.