The Friday E-Pistle (Sept. 20, 2013)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
Please pray for the repose of the soul of Sister Aileen Marek, DC, 91, who died Sept. 7. In 2004, Sister Marek was missioned to Waco, where she volunteered at Providence Health System for nine years. Her funeral was held Sept. 12 in Bridgeton, Mo. We offer our condolences to the Daughters of Charity.
Please consider using the following question for the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Sept. 29):
- St. Luke’s Gospel presents a tragic story of selfishness and arrogance in the person of the “rich man.” The description of the poor man connects to Luke’s Beatitudes, "Blessed are you who are poor, for the kingdom of God is yours." The parable calls us to reflect on our relationship with each other and the goods of this world. Do we use the goods of this world to help and serve others or do we use others to serve ourselves? In what ways do you need to listen to and be convinced of Jesus’ message to prepare for the Kingdom?
- El Evangelio de San Lucas presenta una historia trágica de egoísmo y arrogancia en la persona del "hombre rico". La descripción del hombre pobre conecta con las Beatitudes de San Lucas "Benditos sean ustedes que son pobres, por que el Reino de Dios es suyo". La parábola nos invita a reflexionar sobre nuestra relación con los otros y los bienes de este mundo ¿Usamos los bienes de este mundo para ayudar y servir a otros o usamos a los otros para servirnos a nosotros mismos? ¿De qué manera usted necesita escuchar el mensaje de Jesús y convencerse de él para prepararse para el Reino?
Catholic Services Appeal
Trainings for the 2013-2014 Catholic Services Appeal will be held next week. Topics covered will include: raising awareness, how to use parish materials, the CSA case statement, conducting the Appeal, and return procedures. Parish CSA materials will be distributed at this time. Trainings will be offered on:
- Sept. 24, 10 – 11:30 a.m., St. Mary Parish in Lampasas
- Sept. 26, 9:30 – 11 a.m., St. Anthony Parish in Bryan
- Sept. 26, 1:30 – 3 p.m., St. Margaret Parish in Giddings
More information can be found at austindiocese.org/csa under CSA Coordinator Resources.
Help us update your contact information in our database at the Diocese of Austin. Have you recently moved? Has your e-mail address changed? Have you recently been married? Have you moved to a different parish? Or, have there been any new additions to your family? If so, you can update your contact information by going to our website or you can contact the Stewardship and Development Office at the Diocese of Austin at (512) 949-2400.
Office for Religious
Day of Reflection for Religious
All religious orders and religious communities of women and men serving in the Diocese of Austin are invited to a Day of Reflection on the New Evangelization with Paulist Father Bruce Nieli on Oct. 5 at the diocesan Pastoral Center in Austin. The retreat will begin at 9 a.m. and conclude by 4 p.m. This sacred time will provide religious throughout the diocese an opportunity to celebrate, deepen, and share the spiritual richness of their vowed lives. Bring a sack lunch; drinks and desserts will be available. Please RSVP by Sept. 27 to Janice Ingram at (512) 949-2401.
Youth and Young Adult Ministry
World Youth Day Committee Volunteers Needed
The Office of Youth, Young Adult and Campus Ministry is beginning to plan the diocesan pilgrimage to World Youth Day in Kraków, Poland in 2016. We are looking for volunteers to serve on the planning committee, particularly anyone with experience from previous World Youth Days. This committee will assist with details such as itineraries, marketing, publicity, and technology, and the first meeting will be held in November 2013. Anyone interested in serving on the planning committee should e-mail Alison Tate or at (512) 949-2465.
The annual diocesan Scout Mass will be celebrated on Sept. 28 at 10 a.m. at St. John Vianney Parish in Round Rock. All Catholic Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and American Heritage Girls are invited to attend with their families. Scouts and leaders should wear their uniforms. For more information, e-mail Julie Blackwell.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
‘The Shack’ with Sr. Lois Dideon: Oct. 4- 6
“Meet Me at the Shack ~ Love, Papa.” So you’ve read The Shack. Would you like to come and experience it and talk about it? Have you wondered why God put this book in your hands? Would you like to spend the weekend with others who have been touched and challenged by The Shack, reflecting, unpacking, sharing and experiencing God? The weekend retreat at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton, from Oct. 4-6, will include presentations, time for discussion, guided imagery and relaxing beauty. Click here to register.
The Gospel of John: Oct. 14
The fourth Gospel is written in great poetic language by John often telling two levels of stories at the same time. This day will be an opportunity to enter more deeply into the Woman at the Well story and the Eucharistic Discourse in Chapter 6. Brian Egan is the director at Cedarbrake and will present this day of reflection. The cost is $35 and includes lunch. For more information, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Collection money due
Please send funds collected for the Peter’s Pence Special Collection taken up June 29-30 to the diocesan Finance Office as soon as possible. Send checks to Finance Office, Diocese of Austin, 6225 Highway 290 East, Austin, TX 78723.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Sept. 29):
- That our parish and parishioners will generously respond to meet the needs of the poor who live among us …
- Que nuestra parroquia y sus feligreses respondan generosamente para satisfacer las necesidades de los pobres que viven entre nosotros...
Blessings and congratulations to …
The following priests on the anniversary of their ordination during the month of October: Rev. Joseph F. Geniesse, CSC, Oct. 27, 1957; Rev. John Kelley, Oct. 15, 1991 and Rev. Samuel Hose, Oct. 19, 1991.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.