The Friday E-Pistle (Sept. 13, 2013)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Bertha Nyirenda, JCL, as Defender of the Bond/Canonist in the Office of Canonical and Tribunal Services, effective Sept. 15, 2013.
There is still time to register for the upcoming 2013 Convocation of Priests, Intercultural Competence for Ministers, which will be held Oct. 7-9 at the Austin Marriott North. Contact Father Harry Dean at (512) 949-2431 for more information.
Immigration reform panel
Bishop Joe Vásquez will participate in a conference on the need for humane immigration reform on Oct. 6 from 3 to 5:30 p.m. at at St. Martin’s Evangelical Lutheran Church at 606 West 15th St. in Austin. All clergy are invited and encouraged to attend this free conference. See this flier for more information.
Please consider using the following question for the 25th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Sept. 22):
- The heart of today’s Gospel story is about how we make use of God’s material and spiritual gifts. It may look like Jesus is condemning those who have money and wealth, but he is actually challenging us to examine how we use the things of this world—are we wasteful and unjust or are we good stewards of God’s gifts? How do you serve as a good example to others when using natural and man-made resources?
- El corazón de la historia del Evangelio de hoy trata sobre cómo usamos los dones materiales y espirituales de Dios. Pareciera que Jesús está condenando a aquellos que tienen dinero y riquezas, pero de hecho nos está retando a examinar cómo usamos las cosas de este mundo -- ¿desperdiciamos y somos injustos administradores de los dones de Dios? ¿Cómo sirve usted de buen ejemplo para otros cuando usa los recursos naturales y los creados por el hombre?
Office for Religious
Day of Reflection for Religious
All religious orders and religious communities of women and men serving in the Diocese of Austin are invited to a Day of Reflection on the New Evangelization with Rev. Bruce Nieli, CSP, on October 5 at the Diocese of Austin Pastoral Center in Austin. The retreat will begin at 9 a.m. and conclude by 4 p.m. This sacred time will provide religious throughout the diocese an opportunity to celebrate, deepen, and share the spiritual richness of their vowed lives. Bring a sack lunch; drinks and desserts will be available. Please RSVP by September 27 to Janice Ingram at (512) 949-2401.
Liturgy Information and Communications
If you are involved in your parish as an RCIA director, adult faith formation leader, liturgist, liturgy coordinator, music director or a parish musician and would like to receive updates from the Office of Worship, please send your name, parish, title, and e-mail address to Kathy Thomas.
Preparation for Advent
The Office of Worship will host a day for those who help prepare their parishes for celebrating the season of Advent on Oct. 5 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. All clergy, liturgists, music directors and art/environment ministers are invited to attend. Packets will be given out with sample music as well as an overview of the season. Register for the Advent Retreat online.
Southwest Liturgical Conference
The Diocese of Beaumont is hosting the Southwest Liturgical Conference this year. Anyone working with any form of liturgy (the Mass, sacraments, Liturgy of the Hours) will find the Study Week of interest. For more information, visit the swlc.org.
Pro-Life Activities and Chaste Living
Gabriel Project Angels
Gabriel Project Angels are trained volunteers who work with someone in need of emotional and spiritual support due to a crisis pregnancy. The support of an angel can make a wonderful difference by providing a spirit of hope as a new expectant mom works through each day. Support for someone as they await the birth of their child is a ministry from the heart. There is a need for angels across the diocese. The next scheduled trainings are Sept. 28 and Nov. 16 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please call (512) 949-2488 or e-mail Briana Feiler to register or for more information.
The annual diocesan Scout Mass will be celebrated on Sept. 28 at 10 a.m. at St. John Vianney Parish in Round Rock. All Catholic Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and American Heritage Girls are invited to attend with their families. Scouts and leaders should wear their uniforms. Applications for emblems to be presented at the Mass are due by Sept. 13. For more information, e-mail Julie Blackwell.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 25th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Sept. 22):
- For the grace to embrace lives of total accountability and responsibility that acknowledge God as Creator and owner of all, we pray to the Lord…
- Por la gracia de aceptar vivir con total responsabilidad, reconociendo a Dios como Creador y dueño de todo...roguemos al Señor.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For general information about EIM Basic or Refresher workshops, please click here.
Anyone needing an EIM workshop will sign up online through their EIM account. The sign-up process is explained once you access your EIM account; please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access.
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the schedule of EIM workshops and to sign up. Instructions are provided in case you do not recall how to login to your EIM account.