The Friday E-Pistle (Aug. 30, 2013)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Rev. George Thirumangalam, CMI, as administrator of St. Eugene Parish in McGregor and Our Lady of San Juan Mission in Moody, effective Aug. 23, 2013.
- Rev. Robert Becker as Spiritual Director for the English Charismatic Movement, effective Sept. 1, 2013.
- Rev. Victor Mayorga as Spiritual Director for the Spanish Charismatic Movement, effective Sept. 1, 2013.
Prayer requested for weekend of Sept. 7-8
I request that all parishes in the Diocese of Austin include the following intention during the Universal Prayer, that is the prayers of the faithful, in all Masses, the weekend of Sept. 7-8:
- For our leaders, that they may implement policies that allow for just and safe migration and migrant working conditions; and for an end to the detention of asylum seekers, while protecting our national safety, we pray to the Lord …
- Por nuestros líderes, para que puedan poner en práctica políticas que permitan la migración y condiciones de trabajo de migrantes que sean justas y seguras; y por el fin de la detención de los solicitantes de asilo, mientras que protegen nuestra seguridad nacional, roguemos al Señor …
Please consider using the following question for the 23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time (Sept. 8):
- In today’s Gospel, Jesus says that being his disciple may lead to our being rejected by family and friends. He continues with several images about a wise builder and a strategic king who prepare for their tasks at hand. In today’s world, we are encouraged to plan for our future retirement, including a will and estate planning. How well are you working on the retirement plan that matters the most — the one after this life on earth is ended?
- En el Evangelio de hoy, Jesús nos dice que ser su discípulo puede provocar que seamos rechazados por familia y y amigos. Él continúa hablando con muchas imágenes acerca de un un sabio constructor y un rey estratégico que se preparan para realizar sus tareas. En el mundo de hoy, se nos alienta a planear para nuestro retiro, incluyendo el hacer un testamento y un plan para repartir nuestras propiedades. ¿Qué tan bien está usted trabajando sobre el plan de retiro que importa más-- el de después de que esta vida terrenal haya terminado?
Stewardship and Development Office
Increased Offertory Program
Thanks to the many parishes that have participated in the increased offertory program offered by the diocese and supported by Cavan Corp. For those that participated this past spring it is important that you respond to requests by Cavan for your weekly offertory results. Without your timely reports, results cannot be fully evaluated until months after completing the program. Contact either Michaela Comstock, with Cavan, at (800) 544-5078 or Scott Whitaker at or (512) 949-2441 for more information.
Young Adult Ministry
Theology on Tap: Conversion and Forgiveness
Deacon Dan Lupo will discuss Conversion and Forgiveness at the next Theology on Tap on Sept. 11 at Fadó Irish Pub (214 W 4th St., Austin). Music begins at 6 p.m. and the presentation begins at 7 p.m. For more information, please contact Jennifer Kodysz at (512) 949-2467.
Pope Francis’ prayer intentions
Please consider Pope Francis’ prayer intentions for the month of September:
- That people today, often overwhelmed by noise, may rediscover the value of silence and listen to the voice of God and their brothers and sisters ...
- Que la gente de hoy, a menudo abrumada por el ruido, descubra el valor del silencio y escuche la voz de Dios y de sus hermanos y hermanas ...
- That Christians suffering persecution in many parts of the world may by their witness be prophets of Christ's love ...
- Que los Cristianos sufriendo persecución en tantas partes del mundo, sean, por su testimonio, profetas del amor de Cristo ...
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time (Sept. 8):
- For all grandparents, living and deceased …
- Por todos los abuelos, vivos y difuntos...
Save the date: Parish Office Staff Day
Parish Office Staff Day, formerly known as Secretaries Day, will be held on Oct. 16 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Registration information will be sent out soon.
Catholic Healthcare Guild gathering
The Catholic Healthcare Guild will host an evening of fellowship and formation around Catholic health care ethics Sept. 19 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at Casa Chapala in Austin. In this session, participants will be able to “Ask the Ethicists” moral questions related to end of life. The panel will include Dr. David Zientek, cardiologist with an ethics degree from Loyola, and Father Lou Brusatti, associate professor of Religious and Theological Studies and Director of the Center for Religion and Culture at St. Edward's University in Austin. Members of the Catholic Healthcare Guild are free; guests and non-members are $10 each, appetizers included. Register by e-mailing email@example.com.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For information about EIM workshops, including how to determine which you need to attend, please click here. Currently scheduled 1½ hour EIM Refresher Workshops and 3-hour EIM Basic Workshops are listed here.