The Friday E-Pistle (Aug. 23, 2013)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
• Rev. Alex Caudillo appointed as an associate member of the Vocation Team effective Aug. 1.
• Rev. Stephen Nesrsta appointed as an associate member of the Vocation Team effective Aug. 1.
The following deacons were granted retirement status:
- Deacon Victor Beltran, effective Aug. 15, 2013, last assigned to Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in Temple.
- Deacon Butch Prewitt, effective Aug. 21, 2013, last assigned to Diaconal Formation at the Pastoral Center. Deacon Prewitt will be moving to Magnolia within the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston to be closer to family.
- Deacon Gene Davis, effective Sept. 15, 2013, last assigned to Holy Trinity Parish in Corn Hill.
USCCB releases annual Labor Day statement
In the 2013 Labor Day Statement, Bishop Stephen E. Blaire of Stockton, Calif., chairman of the USCCB Committee on Domestic Justice and Human Development, reflects on rising economic inequality and issues a call for everyone to work together to build a just economy.
Year of Faith
With September on the horizon, parish leaders are once again preparing for education and formation classes for adults, youth and children. The celebration of the Year of Faith continues with greater emphasis on the New Evangelization. We are still called to deepen our Catholic faith through prayer, celebration of the sacraments, and learning more about our faith. We remain called to go and share this with others. We must first deepen our relationship with Jesus Christ and the Church, and then invite others to join us. The diocesan website has a page dedicated for the Year of Faith with resource links for parishes and schools from a variety of publishers. One link is for Our Sunday Visitor, which has Year of Faith items available including books that can be used as the basis of any adult education study.
Please consider using the following question for the 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time (Sept. 1):
- In today’s Gospel, Jesus reminds us to be humble and seek the lowest place lest we be embarrassed when shown to a “lower place.” Pope Francis has made headlines with his teachings and displays of humility. Think of one example given by Pope Francis that you can emulate.
- En el Evangelio de hoy, Jesús nos recuerda ser humildes y colocarnos a nosotros mismos en el último lugar sin sentirnos avergonzados cuando nos encontramos en un “lugar más bajo”. El Papa Francisco ha aparecido en encabezados por sus enseñanzas y muestras de humildad. Piense en un ejemplo dado por el Papa Francisco que usted pueda emular.
Help us update your contact information in our database at the Diocese of Austin. Have you recently moved? Has your e-mail address changed? Have you recently been married? Have you moved to a different parish? Or, have there been any new additions to your family? If so, you can update your contact information by going to our website or you can contact the Stewardship and Development Office at the Diocese of Austin at (512) 949-2400.
Social Concerns Office
Te final day to register to vote in the Nov. 5 election is Oct. 7. All eligible residents should register and vote. New voter ID laws are set to take effect in Texas. Visit the Texas Secretary of State’s website for more information on the rules.
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
Writing as Prayer: Sept. 13-15
Join us for a weekend exploring writing as a tool for fostering intimate prayer Sept. 13-15 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. We will use guided writing exercises and visual and musical aids to invite participants into spiritual conversations with the sacred. Music minister Anne Klock, flutist, will provide the sacred music for this retreat. NO writing skills are required, only a willingness to ponder and listen — with pen in hand. The weekend will be led by author Maria Ruiz Scaperlanda. This retreat is open to both men and women. Cost is $155 for a shared room and $185 for a private room. Call (254) 780-2436 for more information. Click here to register.
‘The Shack’ with Sr. Lois Dideon: Oct. 4- 6
“Meet Me at the Shack ~ Love, Papa.” So you’ve read The Shack. Would you like to come and experience it and talk about it? Have you wondered why God put this book in your hands? Would you like to spend the weekend with others who have been touched and challenged by The Shack, reflecting, unpacking, sharing and experiencing God? The weekend retreat at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton, from Oct. 4-6, will include presentations, time for discussion, guided imagery and relaxing beauty. Click here to register.
Religious vocations from your parish
Please let the diocesan Vocation Office know of any women or men from the Austin Diocese who have entered religious communities during the last year, so that they may be included on the annual vocation poster. Please provide the man or woman’s name, the name of the religious community, the stage in formation and home parish in the Austin Diocese, as well as contact information for the person and a headshot photograph. Send this information to Julie Gray at (512) 949-2430 or Julie Gray. Submissions are due by Sept. 2.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time (Sept. 1):
- For all those who seek just employment to provide care for themselves and others ...
- Por todos aquellos que buscan empleo justo para proveer para ellos mismos y para otros…
Website tip: Parish boundaries map
The orange lines on the map on the Parishes section of the diocesan website represent parish boundaries. By inputting a small number in the “is less than” field and then an address in the “from” field, you will be able to find where an address falls within parish boundaries. Parishes are also listed alphabetically on the website. Both of these pages will also work on smart phones. The links on the right-hand side of the Parishes page include searches for Mass times, adoration times and reconciliation times.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For information about EIM workshops, including how to determine which you need to attend, please click here. Currently scheduled 1½ hour EIM Refresher Workshops and 3-hour EIM Basic Workshops are listed here.