The Friday E-Pistle (June 28, 2013)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Deacon Jose Jimenez, of St. Stephen Parish in Salado, has been granted retirement status, effective of July 1, 2013.
Letter to be read at all Masses
This morning, I sent a letter via e-mail to all priests that is to be read at all Masses this weekend. Priests should check their e-mail for more information.
Parishes may now submit a request for scheduling a Confirmation liturgy with me for 2014. A letter was mailed Wednesday to all pastors with instructions on how to submit a request online. Requests should be submitted by August 15, 2013. The online system is available at this link.
Year of Faith
Catechetical Sunday is Sept. 15. The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishop's Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis has released the 2013 Catechetical Sunday materials, which focus on themes from Porta Fidei and the Year of Faith. While these resources may be used for catechists and other adult leaders, they can easily be adapted to a variety of parish settings. The theme for 2013 Catechetical Sunday is “Open the Door of Faith.” The materials are designed to assist Catholics in deepening their understanding of the Year of Faith, including a revisit of the teachings of the Second Vatican Council. These materials are provided free of charge. Included in the resources are workshop sessions for catechists, which can be adapted for other adults; articles about the catechism and Vatican II; parish resources for meetings or bulletin inserts; and family resources. USCCB Publishing will also sell printed copies of prayer cards, family commitment cards, and posters in English and Spanish.
Please consider using the following question for the 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time (July 7):
- The disciples are being sent “ahead of [Jesus]” to prepare the way for him. He gives them very specific instructions on what to do when welcomed by the community and what to do if rejected. He also calls on them to pray for more workers to participate in his mission. Can you accept the call to go and continue the mission of Jesus? In what ways has someone’s witness to their faith inspired you to become a stronger Catholic?
- Los discípulos son enviados “antes [que Jesús]” para prepararle el camino a Él. Él les da instrucciones muy precisas sobre qué hacer si son bienvenidos por la comunidad y qué hacer si son rechazados. Él también los llama a orar para que haya más trabajadores que participen en su misión. ¿Puede usted aceptar el llamado a continuar la misión de Jesús? ¿De qué maneras el testimonio de fe de alguien más le ha inspirado a convertirse en un Católico más fuerte?
Catholic Charities of Central Texas
Gabriel Project Life Center
The Gabriel Project Life Center in Austin is in great need of size 12-month clothing for boys and girls and newborn diapers. Any donation of baby items is greatly appreciated. Donations may be brought to Catholic Charities of Central Texas between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The building is closed from noon to 1 p.m. For more information, contact Allison Skinner at (512) 651-6100.
Young Adult Ministry
Theology on Tap
Only July 10, Amy Allert, director of Adult, Family and Young Adult Ministry at St. Louis Parish in Austin, will share about living out our Baptismal promises as young adults at Theology on Tap at West Side Ale House (1500 N. IH 35, Round Rock). Music begins at 6 p.m. and the presentation begins at 7 p.m. For more information, contact Jennifer Kodysz at (512) 949-2467.
- A diocesan celebration in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe will be held on Aug. 3 at San José Parish in Austin. The day begins at 8:30 a.m. with a procession to the parish along with the praying of the rosary. Mass will be at 10 a.m. with fellowship to follow.
- Una celebración diocesana en honor de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe se llevará a cabo el día 3 de agosto en la Parroquia de San José en Austin. El día comenzará a las 8:30 a.m. con una procesión a la parroquia junto con el rezo del rosario. La Misa será a las 10 a.m. con una recepción a continuación.
- English flier
- Spanish flier
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time (July 7):
- For all those who travel in their work of evangelization …
- Por todos aquellos que viajan en su trabajo de evangelización…
Parish Staff Day of Reflection: Aug. 1
The Cedarbrake staff will present the third annual Staff Day of Reflection on Aug. 1. Pastors and school principals are invited to bring their staff to Cedarbrake for a time of sharing, praying, and small group work for each parish staff. Cost is $20 per person with lunch included. Parishes should contact the Cedarbrake office at (254) 780-2436 for registration of staff members.
Save the Date: Parish Office Staff Day
October 16 is the annual gathering for parish office staff from all parishes in the Diocese of Austin at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. This event was previously known as Secretaries' Day. Registration information will be sent out soon.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For information about EIM workshops, including how to determine which you need to attend, please click here. Currently scheduled 1½ hour EIM Refresher Workshops and 3-hour EIM Basic Workshops are listed here.