The Friday E-Pistle (June 14, 2013)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Deacon Don Sims to St. Monica Parish in Cameron effective July 1, 2013.
- Deacon Michael Marcheck, recently relocated from the Diocese of Savannah, to St. Paul Parish in Austin, effective June 8, 2013.
Interfaith service for immigration reform
On Tuesday, June 18, members of Austin Interfaith will gather for a prayer service on immigration reform at 10 a.m. at St. Ignatius, Martyr Parish. After the prayer service, faith leaders will gather in the parish hall for a news conference to announce a joint statement on comprehensive immigration reform. All are invited to attend.
New e-mail and fax number for parish
Please note the new e-mail address for Our Mother of Sorrows Parish in Burnet: firstname.lastname@example.org. The parish also has a new fax number: (512) 852-4730. The main phone number to the parish has not changed.
Peter's Pence Special collection: June 30
All parishes in the Diocese of Austin are to take up a special collection for Peter’s Pence at all Masses on the weekend of June 29-30. The following announcement should be read before all Masses that weekend:
- The Peter’s Pence Collection is taken up worldwide to support the most disadvantaged -- victims of war, oppression, natural disasters and others in need of emergency assistance. Pope Francis has asked us to “care for those who are in need of attention, understanding and help, to bring them the warm closeness of God’s love through tangible actions of sensitivity, of sincere affection and of love.” The Holy Father uses the Peter’s Pence Collection to strengthen dioceses, religious orders, and struggling communities of faith when they need it most.
- La Colecta de los Peniques de Pedro se recoge a nivel mundial para apoyar a los menos privilegiados – víctimas de guerra, opresión, desastres naturales y otras personas necesitadas de asistencia de emergencia. El Papa Francisco nos ha pedido que “cuidemos de aquellos que necesitan atención, entendimiento y ayuda, para llevarles la cálida cercanía del amor de Dios a través de acciones sensibles, de sincero afecto y amor”. El Santo Padre usa la Colecta de los Peniques de Pedro para fortalecer diócesis, órdenes religiosas y comunidades de fe en pleno conflicto cuando más lo necesitan.
Year of Faith and the New Evangelization
What is the New Evangelization? The New Evangelization calls each of us to deepen our faith, believe in the Gospel message and go forth to proclaim the Gospel. The New Evangelization calls all Catholics to be evangelized and then go forth to evangelize. In a special way, the New Evangelization is focused on 're-proposing' the Gospel to those who have experienced a crisis of faith … The 2008 Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA) study, Sacraments Today: Belief and Practice Among U.S. Catholics, provides a glimpse into the beliefs, practices and attitudes of U.S. Catholics. As we continue to celebrate the Year of Faith, the U.S. Bishops’ Pastoral Plan for the New Evangelization offers hope to those looking for concrete ways to invite Catholics back to the Church.
Please consider using the following question for the 12th Sunday in Ordinary Time (June 23):
- Jesus questions the disciples concerning who people think he is. He then asks the disciples themselves and Peter responds for all of them, “The Messiah of God.” Jesus concludes by explaining what is necessary to follow him: to give your life to Christ and trust him completely. How does your understanding of who Jesus is guide your decisions and actions? How do you share your faith in Christ with others?
- Jesús pregunta a sus discípulos quién cree la gente que Él es. Después pregunta a los discípulos quién creen ellos que es y Pedro responde por todos, “El Mesías de Dios”. Jesús concluye explicándoles lo que es necesario para seguirlo: entregar la vida a Cristo y confiar en Él completamente. ¿Cómo es que su entendimiento de Cristo lo guía en sus decisiones y acciones? ¿Cómo comparte su fe en Cristo con otros?
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
St. Mary Magdalene: July 22
July 22 is the feast day of St. Mary Magdalene, who traveled with Jesus as one of his followers. She was present at the two most important moments in the story of Jesus — the Crucifixion and the Resurrection. We will spend the day reflecting on these events, as well as on her love and support of Jesus Christ. For more information, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436.
Parish Staff Day: Aug. 1
This will be the third annual Staff Day of Reflection. Pastors and school principals are invited to bring their staff to Cedarbrake. There will be time for sharing and praying, as well as small group work for each parish staff. The Cedarbrake staff will present this day of reflection. Cost is $20 per person with lunch included. Parishes should contact our office for registration of staff members. For more information, contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436.
Discernment retreat for high school men
High school-age men are invited to the Quo Vadis retreat. Quo Vadis (Latin for “Where are you going?) will be held June 22-23 at St. Thomas More Parish in Austin. The retreat is designed to help young men in high school grow spiritually and allow them to think and pray about what God might be asking them to become. The retreat is for incoming freshmen to incoming seniors from throughout the Diocese of Austin. Participants will have the opportunity to explore the themes of prayer, virtue, leadership and discernment. The retreat includes Mass, adoration, time for fun and recreation, and the opportunity to get to know other young men pursuing holiness. The retreat is staffed by seminarians preparing for the priesthood and is co-sponsored by the diocesan Vocation Office and the St. Thomas More Parish Vocation Committee. There is still time to register! For more information, contact Julie Gray in the diocesan Vocation Office at (512) 949-2430.
Low-Power FM radio stations
The FCC is about to open a window of time to apply for licenses to operate low-power FM radio stations. Those interested in applying for a license to operate a Catholic radio station should visit the website of KEDC-FM, a Catholic radio station in College Station.
Canonical and Tribunal Services
Advocacy Training Workshop
An Advocacy Training Workshop will be held Aug. 23-24 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Father Roger Keeler, the Judicial Vicar of the Court of Second Instance in San Antonio, will be one of the featured speakers. The workshop is for advocates representing petitioners seeking an annulment. It will provide hands-on exposure to the various grounds for nullity and the Canon Law that supports those grounds. The cost is $100 per person, which includes materials and meals. Rooms at Cedarbrake are an additional $50 per night. For more information, contact Tom Howard.
Holy Trinity Parish in Corn Hill has approximately 260 used (but in good condition) Glory & Praise Hymnals (Second Edition, copyright of 1997) available for free to a parish or ministry that can use them. For more information, contact Jennifer at (254) 760-4436.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 12th Sunday in Ordinary Time (June 23):
- For the protection of our religious liberty and freedom …
- Por la protección de nuestra libertad y nuestra libertad religiosa ...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For information about EIM workshops, including how to determine which you need to attend, please click here. Currently scheduled 1½ hour EIM Refresher Workshops and 3-hour EIM Basic Workshops are listed here.