The Friday E-Pistle (May 31, 2013)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
Bishop Vásquez wishes to announce the following official appointments effective July 1, 2013:
- Rev. Joy Adimakkeel, administrator of St. Joseph Parish in Waco, elevated to the office of pastor.
- Rev. Mark Hamlet, administrator of Sacred Heart Parish in Austin, elevated to the office of pastor.
- Rev. Aloysius Nzekwe, MSP, administrator of St. Stephen Parish in Salado, elevated to the office of pastor.
- Rev. Celso Yu, MF, pastor of St. Francis of Assisi Parish in Franklin in addition to his current assignment as pastor of St. Mary Parish in Bremond.
- Rev. Jairo Sandoval Pliego, OP, administrator of Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in Taylor.
- Rev. Augustine Ariwaodo, to be ordained June 8, 2013, parochial vicar of St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Austin.
- Rev. Jason Bonifazi, to be ordained June 8, 2013, parochial vicar of St. Anthony Marie de Claret Parish in Kyle.
- Rev. Alex Caudillo, to be ordained June 8, 2013, parochial vicar of St. William Parish in Round Rock.
- Rev. Barry Cuba, to be ordained June 8, 2013, parochial vicar of St. Mary Catholic Center in College Station.
- Rev. Richard Dee Du, MF, parochial vicar of St. Mary Parish in Bremond and St. Francis of Assisi Parish in Franklin.
- Rev. Sushil Ekka, IMS, parochial vicar of St. Thomas More Parish in Austin.
- Rev. Ron Feather, parochial vicar of St. Catherine of Siena Parish in Austin.
- Rev. Alirio Fernandez-Bueno, parochial vicar of Sacred Heart Parish in Austin.
- Rev. Joseph Sae Eul Kim, parochial vicar of St. Paul Chong Hasang Parish in Harker Heights.
- Rev. Matthew Kinney, parochial vicar of St. Joseph Parish in Killeen.
- Rev. Tim Nolt, to be ordained June 8, 2013, parochial vicar of St. Helen Parish in Georgetown.
- Rev. Jonathan Raia, parochial vicar of St. Mary Catholic Center in College Station.
- Rev. Vincent Romuald, SRC, parochial vicar of St. Louis Parish in Austin.
- Rev. Wade Russell, parochial vicar of St. Theresa Parish in Austin.
- Very Rev. Michael J. O’Connor has been incardinated into the Diocese of Austin, effective April 8, 2013.
All are invited to the priestly ordinations on June 8 at 10:30 a.m. at St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Austin. Please pray for the following men who are to be ordained:
- Augustine Uchenna Ariwaodo
- Jason Andrew Bonifazi
- Ventura Alejandro Caudillo
- Barry William Cuba
- Timothy Steven Nolt
Summer Gathering of Priests
Please hold in prayer our Bishop Joe S. Vásquez and the priests who serve in the Diocese of Austin while they are together next Monday through Wednesday for their annual Summer Gathering. May they have a restful time of priestly fraternity.
Please consider using the following question for the 10th Sunday in Ordinary Time (June 9):
- Jesus’ compassion draws him to a widow whose only son has died. Jesus brings the young man back to life and “gives him to his mother.” While the people initially react in fear, they eventually respond with praise to God. Even in the midst of suffering and confusion, how do you still see God’s loving presence? In what ways do you share the compassion of Christ with others, especially those who are suffering and in need?
- La compasión de Jesús lo llama a una viuda cuyo hijo único ha muerto. Jesús restauró la vida al joven y "se lo devolvió a la madre." Mientras el pueblo inicialmente reacciona con miedo, al final responden dando alabanzas a Dios. Aun en medio del sufrimiento y la confusión, ¿de qué manera sigues viendo la presencia amorosa de Dios? ¿De qué manera compartes la compasión de Cristo con los demás, especialmente con los que sufren y los necesitados?
By now each parish should have received their directory correction request from the diocesan Communications Office. Please send in your parish changes for the 2013-2014 Diocese of Austin directory by June 3. Thank you to all those parishes who have already responded.
Servus Dei is a three-day social justice adventure for young adolescents between sixth and eighth grades. Servus Dei provides prayer experiences, offers engaging learning activities based on the life of Jesus and Catholic social teaching, and introduces young adolescents to service as an integral part of Christian discipleship. The service involvement takes place at local agencies and centers that assist people in need. The retreat will take place June 20-22 and the cost is $85. On-time registration must be submitted by June 6, with late registration due by June 13. Youth may register through their parish youth ministry representative. For more information, visit here or e-mail Jennifer Kodysz or call (512) 949-2467.
High school discernment dinner
High school men are invited to the last discernment dinner of the summer at the St. William Rectory, 620 Round Rock West Dr., Round Rock, on June 5 at 7 p.m. The dinner is for any young man of high-school age open to discerning God’s will in his life and desiring to know more about the priesthood, discernment, prayer and virtue. For more information, please contact Father Jonathan Raia at St. William Parish at (512) 255-4473.
Catholic Charities of Central Texas
Workplace Safety Forum hosted by Catholic Charities’ Junior Board
In wake of the West fertilizer explosion, the Catholic Charities of Central Texas Junior Board is hosting a Workplace Safety Forum at Fado’s in Austin on Wednesday, June 19 with fellowship beginning at 6 p.m., and the forum begins at 7 p.m. This forum aims to brings to light workplace safety issues experienced at a local and national level. Visit www.ccctx.org/juniorboard for more information. Fado’s will be donating 10 percent of their proceeds that night to the Disaster Relief Fund to help in West.
Women of the Well with DeeAnn Smith
Women of the Well, a faith and fellowship breakfast for women of all ages across the diocese, will meet Wednesday, June 19 from 8:30-10 a.m. at the diocesan Pastoral Center in Austin. DeeAnn Smith, founder and host of It’s Up to Us! – Catholic Women Who Live and Lead with Faith, will be the speaker. Visit www.ccctx.org/wow for more information.
Stewardship and Development Office
Catholic Schools scholarship
Parker School Uniforms is giving away two $1,000 tuition scholarships to any Catholic school in the Diocese of Austin. To enter, fill out this simple online form. Winners can transfer the scholarship to any eligible student who will attend a Catholic school in the Diocese of Austin. Enter and share the opportunity with others to earn more chances to win. No entries will be accepted after 11:59 p.m. on June 3, 2013. The winner will be announced on or before June 7, 2013. For more information, contact Jean Bondy.
Pope Francis’ prayer intentions
Please consider Pope Francis’ prayer intentions for the month of June:
- That a culture of dialogue, listening and mutual respect may prevail among peoples …
- Que una cultura de diálogo, escuchar con atención y respeto mutuo pueda prevalecer entre los pueblos ...
- That where secularization is strongest, Christian communities may effectively promote a new evangelization …
- Que donde la secularización es más fuerte, las comunidades cristianas puedan promover eficazmente una nueva evangelización ...
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention for the 10th Sunday in Ordinary Time (June 9):
- For all widows and orphans …
- Por todas las viudas y los huérfanos ...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of any site wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.
For information about EIM workshops, including how to determine which you need to attend, please click here. Currently scheduled 1½ hour EIM Refresher Workshops and 3-hour EIM Basic Workshops are listed here.