The Friday E-Pistle (March 8, 2013)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
A reminder, all diocesan offices are closed today for a staff day of prayer. Offices will reopen on Monday, March 11.
Lumen Gentium Awards 2013
The 2013 Lumen Gentium Awards will be June 25 at the Mayborn Civic Center in Temple. Nominations from pastors are due April 26. During this Year of Faith, pastors should consider nominating those in their parish who “evangelize.” Pastors should also note that after 2013, future Lumen Gentium ceremonies will only be held in odd-numbered years (ie, 2015, 2017, etc…). To submit a nominee, pastors should use the Lumen Gentium Nomination Packet.
Please consider using the following question for the Fifth Sunday of Lent (March 17):
- Jesus refuses to condemn the adulterous woman while challenging the scribes and Pharisees. Where do you see God’s mercy working in your life? How can you be more merciful with others?
- Jesús se niega a condenar a la mujer adúltera mientras desafía a los escribas y fariseos. ¿En dónde ve que está trabajando la misericordia de Dios en su vida? ¿Cómo puede ser más misericordioso con los demás?
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
• Father Jairo Sandoval, associate pastor of St. Helen Parish in Georgetown, will present in Spanish a day of reflection on the Year of Faith, March 16 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. The cost is $25, which includes lunch. To register, click here or contact Cedarbrake at (254) 780-2436.
• Padre Jairo Sandoval, Vicario de la Parroquia de St. Helen en Georgetown, dirigirá un día de reflexión en español sobre el Año de la Fe, el 16 de marzo en el Centro Católico de Retiros Cedarbrake, en Belton. El costo es de $25, e incluye el almuerzo. Para obtener más información o para inscribirse, llame al (254) 780-2436 o empuje aqui.
• Sister of the Congregation of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament Marian Sturm will present a reflection on Holy Week on March 23 at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. The retreat is from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and costs $35, which includes lunch. Click here to register.
Young Adult Ministry
Join ATX Young Adult Events and the Diocese of Austin for a Lenten Retreat, held March 16-17, 2013 at Eagle's Wings Retreat Center. Our retreat theme is "Return to Me,” and is based on Joel 2:12, “'Yet even now'—oracle of the Lord--'return to me with your whole heart, with fasting, weeping and mourning.'" It will be a weekend of fellowship, prayer and discussion, with keynote speakers Father Brian McMaster, Father Jonathan Raia, Father Matthew Kinney, Katie Rose and more. Activities will include small group discussions, adoration, a Marian grotto hike, Sunday Mass, and much more. Register online at http://bit.ly/DOA-YAR. Cost is $56.
Men's Discernment Dinner
A Discernment Dinner for single, Catholic men (ages 18 and older) with an openness to discerning a priestly vocation will be held March 13, from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Borromeo House in Austin. The evening includes an informal dinner, prayer and a presentation with discussion on a Lenten topic for discernment. For more information, contact Father Brian McMaster at (512) 949-2430.
Catholic Night at the Austin Toros
Join the Austin Toros professional basketball team for Catholic Night on March 15. Activities include a pre-game tailgate fish fry as well as in-game contests and games. For every ticket purchased through Catholic Night, a portion of the sale will go to Catholic Charities of Central Texas. Tickets can be ordered online. Registration deadline is March 11. Click here to see a flier with more information.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez' prayer intention for the Fifth Sunday of Lent (March 17):
- For our Catholic brothers and sisters around the world who are persecuted for their faith …
- Por nuestros hermanos y hermanas católicos alrededor del mundo que son perseguidos por su fe ...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of these sites wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table which is sent to parishes/schools a few months prior to each new schedule block. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.