The Friday E-Pistle (Feb. 15, 2013)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
Prayers for Pope Benedict XVI
On Monday, Feb. 11, Pope Benedict XVI renounced the papacy effective at 8 p.m. Rome time on Feb. 28. Sometime in March, the cardinals of the church will meet in a conclave to select the next pope. We ask for your continued prayers for Pope Benedict XVI and the College of Cardinals.
- Rev. Jayaraju Polishetty as parochial vicar of St. Helen Parish in Georgetown, effective Feb. 8, 2013.
- Very Rev. Brian Eilers as pastor of Our Lady of Wisdom University Parish in San Marcos, Feb. 16, 2013.
Student Center designated as parish
On Feb. 16 the H.L. Grant Catholic Student Center and St. Jude Chapel that serves the campus of Texas State University in San Marcos will be established as a parish under the patronage of Our Lady of Wisdom. From that time forward, the campus ministry will be known as Our Lady of Wisdom University Parish. We will celebrate the Mass of Dedication on Feb. 16, at 5 p.m. with a celebration to follow. All priests serving in the diocese are invited to attend and concelebrate the Mass.
Interpreted liturgies for the deaf
The following Holy Week liturgies at St. Ignatius, Martyr Parish in Austin will be interpreted for the deaf. Please share this information with your parishioners:
- March 28, Holy Thursday, 7:30 p.m.
- March 29, Good Friday, 1 p.m.
- March 30, Easter Vigil, 8:30 p.m.
- March 31, Easter, 11:15 a.m.
Please consider using the following question for the Second Sunday of Lent (Feb. 24):
- Three disciples experience the transfiguration of Jesus on the mountain. Peter misunderstands the purpose and the experience and they all respond with fear. They hear a voice which tells them, “This is my chosen Son; listen to him.” Do you sometimes respond to an experience of God with misunderstanding, doubt and fear? How can your faith help you to listen to Jesus’ voice with confidence and hope?
- Tres discípulos experimentan la transfiguración de Jesús en la montaña. Pedro mal entiende el propósito y la experiencia y todos responden con miedo. Ellos escuchan una voz que les dice: "Este es mi Hijo elegido, escúchenle". ¿Responde a veces a una experiencia de Dios con la incomprensión, la duda y el miedo? ¿Cómo puede su fe ayudarle a escuchar la voz de Jesús con confianza y esperanza?
Catholic Charities of Central Texas
Tickets are now on sale for the seventh annual benefit to support Catholic Charities of Central Texas on April 14 at the Renaissance Austin Hotel for An Evening with Lou Holtz. The football legend and ESPN sports analyst will share how his faith has affected his personal life and career. Sponsorships are also available. To register or for more information, visit Catholic Charities on the web or contact Karen Marker at (512) 651-6132.
Gabriel Project Life Center needs donations
The Gabriel Project Life Center in Austin is in great need of infant clothing, all sizes, for boys and girls and diapers sizes 1-6. Donations may be brought to Catholic Charities of Central Texas, 1625 Rutherford Lane, between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. The office is closed from noon to 1 p.m. for lunch.
Texas Mission Conference
The Texas Mission Council extends an invitation to priests, deacons and laity to the upcoming annual Texas Mission Conference at the Oblate Center in San Antonio from March 15-17. The theme is Mission and the New Evangelization. Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate Father Ronald Rolheiser will be the keynote speaker. For more information, visit the Texas Mission Conference online.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer intention
- For Pope Benedict XVI as he prepares for his retirement and in grateful appreciation for his faithful service to the Church as the successor of Peter ...
- Por el Papa Benedicto XVI, mientras se prepara para su jubilación y en agradecido reconocimiento por su fiel servicio a la Iglesia como sucesor de Pedro...
Church DB training
This month's ChurchDB training is Feb. 21 at the diocesan Pastoral Center from 1 to 3 p.m. The topic is Learning the Basics in Membership, Stewardship, Groups and Reports. ChurchDB training is offered the third Thursday of every month (excluding holidays). RSVP to Teresa Klepac.
Blessings and congratulations…
To the following priests on the anniversary of their priestly ordinations in the month of March: Rev. Joseph Thomas Varickamackal, March 3, 1977; Rev. Jesus Ferras ISP, March 6, 2004; Rev. Mario Castro Martinez OFM Conv., March 10, 2001; Rev. Barry Cabell CSC, March 14, 1989; and Rev. Biju Antony IMS, March 14, 2003.
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM)
Upcoming EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops
EIM Basic and Refresher Workshops are scheduled on a quarterly basis by the EIM Office, coordinating with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies. Staff of these sites wishing to host a workshop must coordinate with their EIM site administrator. The EIM site administrator should make all workshop requests on the Workshop Request Table which is sent to parishes/schools a few months prior to each new schedule block. Additional workshops will not be added to the EIM workshop calendar unless the EIM office determines a particular need. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann or Colleen Schiller in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2400.